_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Clogged Super Glue Applicators
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC
In the past I have used super glue applicator tips like those from Mission Models but they would always clog unless I took the applicator tip off and blew out the super glue (but that didn't always work either. There has to be a better way to keep these things from clogging. I stopped using them because occasionally I would get CA on my lips...Not fun...I did try out Bob Smith Industries non-clogging pipette applicators but the glue comes out too fast for my liking. I did like the Mission Models tips...glue never came out too fast. How do I keep them from clogging?
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:42 PM UTC
I have some nylon applicator tips that I got in Japan and I'm not sure of the brand, but I simply store the tube standing upright so the glue drains back and doesn't clog. Usually after a few months the tip will eventually clog up (which could probably be prevented if I weren't too lazy to wipe off the tip after each use), but I just snip off the very end with my sprue cutters and I am back in business. I like to use the really tiny tubes of CA glue so that if I do end up chucking the whole thing it's already pretty close to empty.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 11:00 PM UTC
Saw a post recently where a member drilled a hole in a wooden block and inserted a vertical tube (sealed at the bottom). He added CA De-bonder to the tube and would place his applicator tool into this tool stand in order to keep the tip clean.

—mike
CellarDweller21516
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:08 AM UTC
Yeah, I ordered some debonder on Monday with the same thought in mind...seems like it would work...Ultimately I would love it if I could find a way to leave the tip on the CA bottle and not clog so I don't have to take... it on and off
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:25 AM UTC
I never apply super glue with any kind of bottle or tip. Instead, I have a 1/4" glass plate I leave on my workbench, puddle a small amount of glue on it, and pick up the glue with a needle applicator I made myself. This gives an exact application of glue exactly where I want it. This saves money and time on all those applicators and glue tips. I try only to use BSI glues, the kind with the screw on top with a small metal nail in them-- that keeps my glue bottles clear for months--even years (working on a bottle I've had about three years now) on end. When I have a buildup of glue on the needle applicator, I just scrape it off using an old Xacto blade. If the glass gets crudded up, I just scrape it off in the trash with a razor blade in a handle- available at any good hardware store. I made my needle applicator from a length of steel wire, sharpened on one end, blunted on the other end with a flat spot, driven through a square wooden handle in the middle (keeps it from rolling). This has saved me endless frustration and money by keeping my super glue bottles in good shape.
VR,
 _GOTOTOP