_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Type 90 Turret Fabric
bwiber
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi,

I am starting to collect information for a build of a Japanese Type 90 MBT and found something kind of odd on the turret face. In this photo of one at a Public Information Center you can definitely see the wrinkles in the fabric.

However, in this photo of an operational one I still get the impression that the turret nose is covered with fabric. This comes from the area around the tie downs and the texture of the paint in that area.

To my eye, the major differences are the lack of wrinkles and it appears that the fabric goes back further.

Is this area actually fabric covered? If so, why?

Thank you for any help,
Bob
SWATdoc
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 10:03 AM UTC
Hello Bob,

I am thinking that the PIO photo was most likely from early on and that the fabric is an OPSEC measure over the unique armor modules on the turret face. As you are probably aware, this is not uncommon when new weapons are first revealed. In the second photo, it looks as if there may be a thin metal cover to me.

Respectfully,
Allen

bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Bob,

I am thinking that the PIO photo was most likely from early on and that the fabric is an OPSEC measure over the unique armor modules on the turret face. As you are probably aware, this is not uncommon when new weapons are first revealed. In the second photo, it looks as if there may be a thin metal cover to me.

Respectfully,
Allen

Allen,

The interesting thing is that the kit itself has a fabric like texture over that area, as well as the nose of the hull. There also was some discussion of the fabric in this build blog.... https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/172773

The suggestion that it is a way of being able to change the markings seems a bit odd. Especially as it covers so much area.

Looks to be one of those things that I will just have to live with not knowing.

Thank you for your reply,
Bob
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC
I found this photo, which looks like it was take during development:

I haven't found any other contemporary photos of Type 90s in the field or on parade (other than PIO tank) with a loose covering like that so I think Allen's surmise is probably correct. At least I can't think of anything more plausible than that.

bwiber
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found this photo, which looks like it was take during development:

I haven't found any other contemporary photos of Type 90s in the field or on parade (other than PIO tank) with a loose covering like that so I think Allen's surmise is probably correct. At least I can't think of anything more plausible than that.

Mark,

I still lean towards it being fabric, but it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong. Mostly I was just curious about why they would cover that area with anything (fabric or thin metal) rather than just an armor plate and forget it. Oh well...

Thanks for the replies...

Later, Bob
 _GOTOTOP