_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
why ww2 1/35 aircraft are not popular?
napadaanlng
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:19 AM UTC
I'm kinda new to scale modeling and just entered the hobby and I've been enjoying a lot what I been doing and its make me wonder why there are some ww2 1/35 aircraft but only a few of them are made by some companies. Why do manufacturers don't mass produce them anyway also would you buy 1/35 aircraft to match it with the 1/35 armors?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:31 AM UTC
1:32 ac are prevalent. The scale difference is so slight, most builders cross scale 32 : 35.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 07:37 AM UTC

I think its the size...

1/35 and 1/32nd aircraft are big, esp the bigger aircraft...

so Larger size, greater kit complexity, equals higher cost, and less kits sold.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:24 AM UTC
Never let it be said that common sense enters into manufacturers' thinking.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:45 AM UTC
You have to ask to Tamiya, me to i dont uderstand why,but the opposite, why AFV not in 1/32??...the 1/32 scale is a lot older then the 1/35 "invented" by tamiya in the '70 if i remember right...
TigerTiger
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 08:53 AM UTC
Yep as Vicious said it's the other way round aircraft and armour were around in 1/32 (look at old Airfix and Monogram armour) long before 1/35 came along.
The Japanese lead by Tamiya decided on the 1/35 route for armour so your question should be why no 1/32 armour?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 11:43 AM UTC
As others have said, 1/32 aircraft have been around since the late 50s and early 60s. Monogram was one of the first with thier "Phantom" Mustang in 1/32 scale. Revell had the 1/28 scale WWI figthers, and in the early 60s had the initial line of WWII fighters, starting with their Spitfire and ME109. Prior to that, most modeling companies produced kits in "box scale"-- a scale that was based not on the plastic, but the standard sizes of the box, which gave us kits from 1/110 scale to 1/48 scale (Aurora was one of the first to standardize thier scale at 1/48) to fit in a standard box. One of the reasons 1/32 was popular was because figure painters largely painted figures in 54mm-- which is 1/32 scale. Imrie-Risely was a 54mm manufacturer with a large range of WWII, Civil war, Napoleonics, and Revolutionary War figures going back to the 50s. Historex from France was another. Tamiya produced models in Japan in unusual scales-- 1/50 was the chosen scale for aircraft. But I managed to acquire one of the first 1/35 scale Tamiya armor kits-- a King Tiger, by 1967 from my LHS. My understanding is Tamiya settled on 1/35 for armor kits because they were small enough to motorize, yet were bigger than the 1/40th box scale armor kits offered by Revell, Adams, and others at the time. By 1959, Monogram had released thier line of military kits in a standard 1/32-54mm scale, and they had the largest offering at that scale for the time. Except for a few very early 1/48 scale German armor kits offered by Aurora, there were not many German WWII kits available, Tamiya was really the first to offer a selection of "quality" (for the time) "German" military kits, and these became an overnight success largely due to thier unique designs and unlimited (non-OD) camouflage selections. This is partly why 1/35 became more and more popular among modelers, and other companies soon followed suit. The need to have some ground support aircraft came along relatively late, and that's where Bronco, Panda, Academy, etc. have come in-- so that 1/35 tanks and their supporting aircraft could be posed together. Despite the feeling that 1/32 aircraft and 1/35 tanks can be displayed together, there can be a wide variance in scale difference. I have many 1/32 scale figures, displaying them with 1/35 armor makes them look like giants. As another example, I have the Meng FT17 in 1/35 scale, that I wanted to display with some gas-masked German Uhlans. The size difference is quite striking. In the end, I ended up purchasing an older white metal 1/32 FT17, which is huge when compared to the 1/35 Meng kit. In the "old days" there were many companies that settled on 1/32 scale military figures and kits- Strombecker, Monogram, ITC, and Revell all made figures in these larger scales, but Tamiya was really the grandaddy of 1/35-- and it's taken off from there. That's why we have two "large scales". And likely why it will remain that way for a long time to come.
VR, Russ
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 01:39 PM UTC
If the "recent" 1/48-scale armour takes off there will be a scale with reasonable detailing for armour and reasonable size for aircraft. A diorama with a 1/48-scale C-47 (wingspan 29 meters -> 60 cm or slightly less than 2 feet in 1/48) and some 2.5 ton trucks would be on the edge of feasible. Fighters and helicopters would definitely be workable.
/ Robin
Jennings
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 09:44 AM UTC
The inference in this question is that people want to display aircraft and armor kits together. My question is, when in actual warfare (or otherwise) do you see armor and aircraft sitting on the ground together? Ever? The argument (dare I say, whining) for 1/35 helicopter kits in the early 1990s was based on that argument, yet since then I can count on one finger the number of dioramas I've seen that had both armor and a helicopter in them.

It makes no sense whatever.
cdworjan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 02:30 PM UTC
I prefer models to be in the same scale, not because I want to build dioramas but because it allows me to display them together and show the relative size. It's the main reason I built a 1/48 HMMWV. Most people know what size a HMMWV is, so putting a model of it next to some aircraft can help show the size of the aircraft.

I want to build a display for the Marines of Desert Storm. So it would make sense and be my personal preference to have the quarter scale OV-10 and Harrier and other aircraft, sitting next to a quarter scale Patton tank and Abrams.

It also would provide more accessories and aftermarket options to me. Some things are extremely easy to find in 1/35 scale, but nearly nonexistent in 1/48, like personal weapons, crew served weapons, infantry figures.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 05:36 PM UTC
The reason Tamiya started the whole 1/35 scale thing was it was just the right size to fit the batteries to motorize their first offerings. It just took off from there.

_GOTOTOP