_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Resin rookie
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi all, I have never worked with resin before so please excuse the simple questions...

I just bought some hedgerow devices and sandbag set from Custom Dioramics. How do I remove the pieces from the resin block.

Do I need a razor saw or do I just keep scoring the line until it cuts through/snaps?

Also, there are a couple of small holes (smaller than a pin head) that needs filling, what do I use for this?

Thanks for any tips

Simon
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hola!!
For cutting the resin blocks you could either use a razor saw or a pair of good tight nail clippers, just be careful!
For the air bubbles use a putty or superglue!! then sand it smooth and voila!!
Good luck on your project!!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 05:40 PM UTC
Maybe you can try whiteout fot the air bubbles ( I don't know if it's usefull for such a small work).
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 06:58 PM UTC
Just a word of caution, but the resin dust is hazardous to your health. It does have an interesting odor, so don't ingest/inhale the dust. I usually do my sanding at the sink. I use a either a razor saw blade that fits into my X-Acto knife or a coping saw blade to cut off the majority of the "pour stub". I then sand the piece to fit at the sink using the black wet/dry sand paper. Make sure you have the hull where the resin pieces will attach to close at hand. This way you can tell when you've sanded enough off. Check frequently, you don't want to take off too much.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 08:14 PM UTC
I have found those flexible emery boards sold for bufffing ones finger nails to work great. They come in many different grits and are fairly stiff. They sell similar one for the hobby which ar smaller and angled but they cost quite a bit more. If you find you need the angle simply cut the emery board with a lare scissors or utility knife. But I have to second what Sabot said Be very careful when sanding resin dust is as deadly as asbestos, Get yourself a box of masks Like thiose a dentist would use. they are essentially a surgical mask with a thin plastic visor to protect your eyes.

Josh W.
AKA shiryon
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 04:49 AM UTC
This will be useful if I end up splurging and buying some resin figures.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
i work with resin every day... two or three tips....

#1) you MUST get yourself a good breather mask... the dust is microfine and is a proven carcenogen (ie - lung cancer). If you can "small" the resin, then believe me - you are breathing the stuff. if nothing else, place some balls of damp cotten in your nostrils!

#2) A dremal or other rotary tool does great work on stubs, but you have to be pretty careful not to be overly aggressive, or you can ruin a fine piece. A razor saw if a great tool for cutting the straight edges, but for the corners, curves, and that sort of thing, small emory boards in various grits and densities do a fine job. The back of an Xacto knife is also a good idea for seam lines.

#3) after cleaning your piece of flash and seams, be sure to wash the resin piece in water and liquid soap to clean off the reminants of silicone spray used as a mold seperating agent.... otherwise you may find paint has a hard time adhereing in some spots.

#4) consider undercoating if you will be using acrylic paints.

#5) send us pics of your finished work!

Keith
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2002 - 03:51 AM UTC
For filling holes I use a number of puttys. These include Model Master red putty, Squadron green and white puttties. I tend to to use them all on larger hole starting with red and going to white. for the smallest holes I use white or super glue and sand to finish. Get your self a couple of those angled paint trowels, the small ones used for mixing oil paint. they allow you to work the putt into place.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
 _GOTOTOP