_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Roll Models.... Anybody use them ?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 12:00 AM UTC
Howdy ! I'm using Roll Models for the first time to get a couple of things that I couldn't get from my usual go to places. Their conformation notice said, "ships in 2 or 3 weeks". Is that true or is it a "CYA" contingency ? It's not like I need the AM stuff yet.
TIA and Go Packers !

Tom
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 12:14 AM UTC
I've used Roll Models a few times. Been quite happy with their service. My gut feeling is some (much?) of what they list is not in stock and must be ordered. As such it can take a few weeks to receive an order. If you need/want something right away, I'd go elsewhere. But they do have a large selection of items not found anywhere else in the US.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy ! I'm using Roll Models for the first time to get a couple of things that I couldn't get from my usual go to places. Their conformation notice said, "ships in 2 or 3 weeks". Is that true or is it a "CYA" contingency ? It's not like I need the AM stuff yet.
TIA and Go Packers !

Tom

Roll Models has been around a very long time. They are a respectable business and we'll known, advertising in FSM for many years. I've only ordered once from them several years ago, and had no problems. They have a brick and mortar shop I think, and do mail order as other LHS do, so they have two businesses to operate, which sometimes causes delays. However, I think they are knowledgeable about the business and hobby, which is less than I can say for straight mail order shops. Frankly, several mail order places have been advertising kits that were released months ago in Asia and Europe, and just keep pushing back arrival dates, so a two or three week delay seems short compared to a six or eight month delay.
VR, Russ
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:27 AM UTC
I've known John for a number of years and purchased a lot of stuff from Roll Models over the last 16-18 years. They really run a true Mom & Pop organization. He's a big supporter of the IPMS chapter in the Twin Cities. Some of the members spend part of their Saturdays filling orders for John and Mary. They don't have the $ to keep the kind of inventory that places like Squadron or Sprue Brothers do, so there is often a wait while they order stuff in from the manufacturers.

About a year ago John went out of his way to track down a hard to find CMK resin set for me. Now if I could just get it built into the kit.

I'll recommend them, just be warned that they specialize in complete service, just not instant shipping.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:30 AM UTC
Reliable,trustworthy,but a little slow.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks guys for all the responses ! Happy to hear that they are a Mom & Pop, brick and mortar organization. I'd rather give my business to the "small guy" in the first place. As I said not in a big rush for my stuff. Just curious about the time factor. Nobody in our hobby could keep an inventory to reflect all of the goodies that are now available to us.
It's good to be a modeler now a days !
Tom
 _GOTOTOP