_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Testors decal making system issues?
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hey everyone. I recently ( several months ago) purchased the above named decal making system. Having some time to finally try to use it I have found the CD will not install on my Laptop, or my Mac mini... anyone have any helpful tips or ideas on how I get it to load. Testors website is basically useless....at least for this troglodyte

Maybe one of you uses an easier system. I basically want to be able to make 35th scale box and bottle labels, etc. That kind of thing.

Any help is welcome.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 11:50 AM UTC
I'd say to use PowerPoint to make your own-- or photoshop, or both. If you have a later version of Word you can also use that in some instances for simple labels. I prefer Microscale or Walthers decal paper, and Microscale decal solution, but I have used Testors white decal paper (for applications needing white backgrounds) before. I always flat coat my decal paper before printing-- it helps the adhesion of printer inks to the paper-- this is especially true of the Testors papers which tend to be higher gloss. I don't really care for the half sheets of Testors paper-- they are hard to align in the printer for second passes if needed. Finally, I'd stay completely away from the Testors fixative-- I either spray Microscale Decal solution full strength through my airbrush, or use dullcoat or glosscoat in light passes. Hope this helps.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 12:21 PM UTC
Photoshop CS2 is available for free online and Gimp has most of the same features and is free ware . Both are good platforms for capturing graphics to print as decals.

Using MS Word for text is fine but you don't have the freedom of sizing text and images you do in Photoshop or Gimp. I did this kind of stuff for almost 15 years using an Alps printer until it died.

You can even use MS paint to create basic art if you are of that sort. But you would be surprised what you can find online in fonts and gif graphics.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 09:15 PM UTC
Thanks Russ and Stephen. I will look into those, I think I've heard someone say they use Gimp. I believe I have PSE on my iPad, and PowerPoint on all my computers.

_GOTOTOP