_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Decals and Alclad question
smeosky
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Greetings, all. I have been scouring the forums for some detailed info here on alclad. I have my 1/48 Academy p 38 J that's been sprayed and post shaded with Alclad aluminum and polished aluminum. All other relevant colors have been applied too. I've decided not to use any clear coat since it seems to reduce the metallic sheen on my test piece. I'd like to do a wash for the panel lines as well as apply the decals. What order should I do this in if I'm not to use clear coat? I'm afraid if I apply decals first, the wash will stain the decals. If I apply wash first I'm afraid the decals won't have a smooth enough surface to properly lay down on. I know I'm over thinking this but any outside advice would be appreciated. Thanks, all!
Steve
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 09:48 PM UTC
Steve,
I'm not sure why you don't want to use Alclad's own gloss clear coat-- it's crystal clear. I use it all the time over thier chrome and aluminum paint with and without decals-- it's thin and doesn't diminish the metallic shine- and seems to enhance it. Just don't apply it to heavily, which is a problem because it goes on so thin-- sometimes you don't think you have enough on-- and that can cause a run. It's the only clearcoat I use over Alclad.
VR, Russ
smeosky
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Russ. I actually have both alclads clear aqua gloss and laquer based varnishes and I haven't tested them yet,only future. I've heard too many opinions about how ANY top coat will diminish the metallic shine. I suppose the patient type would test each out and draw their own conclusions I figured forgoing the clear coat was one less step and the sheen it has now is awesome. And anything else on top would likely diminish that. Which of alclads clears are you recommending? The acrylic based aqua?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:18 AM UTC
Steve,
The one I use is labeled "Gloss Klear Coat" (spelled with a "K"). It's not an acrylic--The bottle says it contains mineral spirits, which is a different formulation than the Alclad paint which contains MEK, etc. Just one caution when using it, if I apply decals over the clear, then use lots of Solvaset (a pretty severe solution), the clearcoat will sometimes "frost" a little-- it goes away with a second clearcoat-- similar to what happens with Future. By the way-- Alclad Gloss clearcoat can be applied right over canopies and clear parts without a problem--another reason I like it. The bottle recommends painting light coats at 25 PSI, but I usually paint at 12-18 PSI without a problem.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP