_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best Light for painting
X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:57 AM UTC
I separated my painting area from my assembly area and would like some advice on the best light to use for painting. I have overhead and 2 clamp-on lights at the assembly area. I set up a long table for painting and was wondering if a couple of OTT folding desk lamps would work at the paint area?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I separated my painting area from my assembly area and would like some advice on the best light to use for painting. I have overhead and 2 clamp-on lights at the assembly area. I set up a long table for painting and was wondering if a couple of OTT folding desk lamps would work at the paint area?

I use a regular folding scissors type office light for my workbench and painting areas-- they work fine and are very flexible-- you can order them from Micro-mark. But, what's more important is the quality of the bulb-- the higher the number of lumens the better-- it should be 1500 -1700 lumens or higher (don't go by watts-- read the small print on the bulb package for the number of lumens). It was a little more expensive, but I bought the best quality LED light bulb for my system-- and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the light and the lack of heat-- which is a great plus when you are working at the bench.
VR, Russ
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.....But, what's more important is the quality of the bulb-- the higher the number of lumens the better-- it should be 1500 -1700 lumens or higher (don't go by watts-- read the small print on the bulb package for the number of lumens)....

Yes The Lumens are more important then Watt becose Watt is only the consume of the bulb but the Lumens is only a measurement of total light output,the brightness of the bulb but specially for us becose we need to see very good the colors the Kelvin or K are even more important, is a measurement used to describe the color temperature,the Sun give us ~5600K,to see the colors at is best you need a bulb/led give you a similar ammount of K,usually they sale under the name of "Daylight" or "Natural Day light" Color temperature and is ~5000K,lower then 5000K the color start to looks more "White" then yellowish,but also to much K is not good becose start to be Blueish

this is what i talking about..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

https://www.earthled.com/blogs/led-lighting-faq-frequently-asked-questions/what-is-the-difference-between-lumens-kelvins-and-watts

OttLite for me make one of the bests "Day light" bulb,i use one of them with the IKEA desk light and a magnification lamp with a circular Tube, also OttLite tube, i find very good the Circular tube becose the light It comes from all directions without making any shadows.

Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC
I like to use mid range temperature incandescent bulbs. I usually use something in the 4800K range.
X-FUZZ
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2016 - 05:51 AM UTC
Thanks for suggestions. I settled on the Folding Ott desk lamps.
 _GOTOTOP