_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Dust
whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:29 AM UTC
I dont have many tips but this one is red hot.

In Australia, where the Opal comes from, the mud it is found in is of the smallest particle size yoou will find anywhere. It is a lot smaller than silica so less than .05 microns is my guess. This is finer than cerium oxide, aluminium oxide etc that is used in polishing.

You can get a lump of this mud from anyone that cuts Opals, it is in the bottom of their cutting tray and a pest,

Here is a tiny speck, smallest I could drop, then I blew on it and half went up in the air and you can see how much covers and this is not as fine as it gets coz I scraped it off with my fingernail. Its very good for cheap.

Pics here http://gallery3.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/ppuser/73230/cat/500
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 02:59 PM UTC
mmmm...i have to give it a go...there is a guy work with Opals down the road...
mogdude
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 459 Posts
KitMaker Network: 264 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 05:11 AM UTC
Some place to find it in the USA ?

Quoted Text

I dont have many tips but this one is red hot.

In Australia, where the Opal comes from, the mud it is found in is of the smallest particle size yoou will find anywhere. It is a lot smaller than silica so less than .05 microns is my guess. This is finer than cerium oxide, aluminium oxide etc that is used in polishing.

You can get a lump of this mud from anyone that cuts Opals, it is in the bottom of their cutting tray and a pest,

Here is a tiny speck, smallest I could drop, then I blew on it and half went up in the air and you can see how much covers and this is not as fine as it gets coz I scraped it off with my fingernail. Its very good for cheap.

Pics here http://gallery3.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/ppuser/73230/cat/500

Knuckles
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
KitMaker Network: 156 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:40 AM UTC
Airbrushing "Rainmarks" effects (whiteish product, I use one from MIG) gives very similar results.
 _GOTOTOP