_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
The time has come
whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC
They say you always end up back where you started in life the older you get, so back to modelling I go. With glasses of course.

Decades have passed, so it will be interesting to see what the future holds apart from money.

I had 40 left in my PP account so bought the Trumpeter ASLAV model 00392. That was the easy part.

So far, if I had the money, Ive selected 500 bucks worth of of decals, add ons, upgrades, accessories, photo etching, figures, my my how things have chamged. Fancy some villagers annd a bomb tech no worries gimme 100.

I expect the patience required hasnt changed. But when I was building an air brush was what your sister used on her hair.

So will be no rush to make it as I havent even thought about what I can do before paint and mods yet. Prep is the key this time around.

I hope over xmas I can collect things for a diorama. Just need a board, chicken wire and plaster and imagination. Im thinking afghanistan but I havent decided where yet. Desert is easier for rocks and sand and stuff, yes that will be it. Bit of a road, some walls, rubbish thats sandy dusty look, I can see it now. Be easier than snow and black mountains.

I used to be good at battle damage using heat and gouging, well I thought so at the time, bent panels I was very good at.

One thing I do remember, was ther used to ba a book that had all the scales worked out. Say if you wanted to make a 1/32nd scale brick, wire, pole or post etc, it told you and you just made things that size. Is that still around?

LOoking forward to annoying al of you.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 02:32 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to the Kitmaker Network. I'm sure you will find inspiration and all of the answers and advice you seek from the good folks here, I know I certainly have.

Looking forward to watching your build progress.

Cheers, D
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 03:39 PM UTC
Welcome back and don't forget to let us see that first effort on the return.
Dragline
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
I'm a newbie here but let me welcome you anyway.

Welcome.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 05:24 AM UTC
Hello,
Most things have changed a lot, now with some kits you will need much more patience as parts are much more and much smaller... take it with time and it will be also more fun

For me he time of battle damage with heat is over. You may want to try to thin down the plastic with sanding paper and then rip it with pliers. Or going hardcore and try photoetch mudguards and fenders.

Anyway, whatever you do, have fun both modelling and here: You are welcome.
whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:46 PM UTC
Thankeel, thankee.

A 1/144 scake I think it was Airfix for 99 cents in the day. I worked in a toy shop in the 70s. A kit that we sold for 30 bucks was huge bucks and I know these cost us 10.75 wholesale. I kbow the boss wouldnt do any less than 15 bucks at chrisrmas for me, so I never gor nuttin but an insight into markups. I was thinking 12 bucks, a weeekends wages... no dice.

Only opportunity in those days was the original star wars figures that sold for 99 cents. A throwaway toy was 20-50 cents. I told boss to stosk up, we couldnt give tmem away. I remmeber some people boought a few of same model but never a set.
I thiunk set is worth may thousands now. I knew they should sell, but not my cup of tea, so never bought any.

Shop closed aeound 82, was no excess stock, but those princess lweah whatsit called, couldnt give themn away at 75 cents.

One day, old man walks in, his aunty was on titanic, was looking for a model. A year later, old lady walks in, looking for a model of it, her father was on it when it sank.

Work in a model shop, you never know who or why.

My ASLAV is in mail, maybe wedneday.

IM holding off on prep and paints coz I want to give local HS a go.

One other thing, I spent a lot of time looking at things at the time, and honestly, unless I can rememember a scene with a face in it, inside a vehicle. the colors are a blank.
There is none of ths OH I lived in ole Betsy for 5 years, its just white grey green walls that you dont notice, like the wall behind your bed or at the footy club...invisible.

Another thing in the 70s, we used to chop up circuit boards and use them for electrics. IO searched cicuot boards for cockpits and radar and nothing xame up/

So start picking up all those electrical gadgets and pull out the PCBs

They make special a/c interior piping and also CP instruments and radars etc.

If all else fails, set fire to it

whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 03:52 PM UTC
OH yes I found book, 8.7mm to the foot for 1/35th scale it says.
whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 10:37 AM UTC
Ok Im set to go when the kit gets here, cost me 70 in basic needs.

I also found a Hogans Heroes Jeep in the box, I knew I had it somewhere. Its got nothing to do with the show really, they just used he name to sell it.

So I wil make a start on it.

_GOTOTOP