_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade
This forum is for all selling and buying related topics.
Shipping question
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 11:49 PM UTC
What in the world is going on with shipping rates? I just checked on shipping a 4 lb. box across country and the USPS wanted $45.00! UPS and Fedex weren't far behind. I haven't sold anything in a while and I know it's Christmas time but, wow, these prices are ridiculous! Any tips for getting the pricing down?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What in the world is going on with shipping rates? I just checked on shipping a 4 lb. box across country and the USPS wanted $45.00! UPS and Fedex weren't far behind. I haven't sold anything in a while and I know it's Christmas time but, wow, these prices are ridiculous! Any tips for getting the pricing down?

I guess the question is what kind of postage is that? First Class Air? Overnight? Ground? It's certainly not standard First Class. I just shipped my Daughter and Son-in-law's Xmas gifts from Seattle to Salt Lake City for $27, standard surface 6 day delivery and it got there in four days. It weighed 25lbs. You need to ask at the counter for the best rate. Of course, Xmas delivery is always slower due to volume-- mail early!
VR, Russ
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:21 AM UTC
If you stick to their boxes (size issues) it can be cheaper.
Also if talking model kits, some people are ok with not shipping in the box. So you might be able to breakdown the box and stick the sprues in one or two postal boxes. I find small or medium postal box work the best.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,063 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:48 AM UTC
Sounds like something is wrong. I shipped a rather large box of stuff, 20-30lbs, from PA to OK and is was around $30. Not exactly cheap but far better than 4lb for $45. You can also go online and get an estimate based on the package size and weight.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... You need to ask at the counter for the best rate. ...

Very recently, I got two notably different quotes for the same package with different USPS postal workers. It feels as though I get "the old hard-sell" for highest rates depending on who I talk to at the counter!

Another thing to consider is shipping and weather patterns per region — in my case, the mountains. Where I used to work, we would never send deadline materials out via FedEx/UPS “Next Day Air” or “Two Day.” “Ground” would always arrive much faster — and way cheaper!

—mike
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... You need to ask at the counter for the best rate. ...

Very recently, I got two notably different quotes for the same package with different USPS postal workers. It feels as though I get "the old hard-sell" for highest rates depending on who I talk to at the counter....

Was this at the same post office? Postal employees can't manipulate the rates-- (unless you live in a very rural area where there are no computer systems, like Antarctica or the Aleutians 😆 or at an FPO/APO). The system the USPS uses in most of its sites is charged by weight tied to the counter scales via thier POS computer system. The only way to account for a difference is an addition to the rate, like insurance or special handling, or if someone had thier finger on the scale, or the scale was out of calibration. How much difference was there? The reason I know this is my Daughter used to work for the contractor that did USPS system over sight and customer relations. The funniest complaint she ever had was from a guy from San Francisco who called the post office on the day after Xmas wondering why his package had not been delivered on Xmas day since he had paid $80 for "next day" shipping at the automated shipping bin. When she asked when he posted the package, he told her it was dropped in the automated mailing bin at 6 PM Xmas eve, and he wanted his money back because it hadn't arrived on Xmas day. She then asked him where the package was going, and "London" was the reply. She asked: "London England?" "Yes" was his reply again. She tracked the package number and found it was being unloaded at Heathrow at that moment-- she had to explain to him that London is not in the same time zone as San Francisco, so it was already Xmas when the package was posted, and indeed it was delivered on the "next day" which was the 26th. The guy couldn't understand how come it "took so long" to get from an automated machine on Xmas Eve from SF to London!
VR, Russ
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Was this at the same post office? Postal employees can't manipulate the rates-- (unless you live in a very rural area where there are no computer systems, like Antarctica or the Aleutians 😆 or at an FPO/APO). ...

I do kinda’ live in the boonies, in a small town aptly named Rifle. However, along with ranches, we do have computers here! 😄

It was actually the very same package — same weight, no rush, nothing added or subtracted. I went to the Post Office on one day to have the box weighed. Since the recipient was responsible for shipping charges, I needed to wait for his confirmation. The clerk quoted me a very high rate with all the bells and whistles, and he seemed not to want to budge. … “That’s the rate for that zip-code.”

The next day, after my morning cup of cauffee, I went back to the Post office. Once more, I asked for the lowest shipping rate and a nice lady behind the counter quoted a price of $13.55 — same as what I had estimated at the USPS online Postage Price Calculator — roughly 20-30% less than the dude!

The miscalculation was the second one by the same individual — similar scenario. Maybe it was just a communication glitch that occurred before I had my morning coffee fix! 😝 Lol!

Cheers! ☕️
—mike
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 05:08 PM UTC
In my case I used the various companies online system to calculate the postage. I weighed and measured the box and didn't ask for any additions like signatures required, extra insurance, overnight deliveries, etc. It's been my experience that these systems are pretty accurate as long as the weight and measurements that you input are correct. It is what it is, I guess. It's just a shame that I lose a sale, and someone else loses a good deal, just because of the ridiculous shipping charges that are charged.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In my case I used the various companies online system to calculate the postage. I weighed and measured the box and didn't ask for any additions like signatures required, extra insurance, overnight deliveries, etc. It's been my experience that these systems are pretty accurate as long as the weight and measurements that you input are correct. It is what it is, I guess. It's just a shame that I lose a sale, and someone else loses a good deal, just because of the ridiculous shipping charges that are charged.

On-line estimators are notoriously inaccurate as you have discovered, for several reasons-- all it takes is to enter the wrong dimension (width vs length or height for instance). Most of those "estimators" are "worst case" estimators too. A few I've used in the past give the higher rate as a sales technique. For standard surface shipping at the lowest rate through the USPS, a 4lb box shouldn't cost $45 unless it's going somewhere remote or is an unusually shaped package, as mentioned by several folks here who have recent shipping experience. The only way to tell is to actually go to the PO, have them measure and weigh it for you, and they should tell you what the best rate is. In most instances there are at least three ways you can go-- first class, first class air, or standard, and there are other variations. For my two recent shipments of at least 25lbs, I didn't pay more than $27, with seven day arrival times (both got there in 4) And that included tracking and $100 in insurance ($50 is automatic for all packages with the USPS tracking) It's a shame to miss your sale because of an innacurate on-line estimator.
VR, Russ
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
I took the package in question to my local post office today and told them what happened. They ran it through their system and it actually came back at $53.00 instead of the $45.00 that I got. There were two issues that caused the high rate. First and foremost was the size. The package is 21" x 16" x 6" and that caused the price to almost double what it would have been for a small package of the weight. The other was the shipping method. I had chosen Priority Mail. The man at the post office said had I chosen Ground, the price would have been $20.00. Lesson learned. Unfortunately I lost a sale because of my mistake but I'll know in the future.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
It’s not just me then!😅 Sort of confirms one of my suspicions that buyers are getting turned-off when trying to get a reasonable rate if shipping is not included — can't blame them. Oh well ... as sellers, we can only try our best to be fair and honest.😇

“We want them to make a lot of money, but not that much money.” Lol!🤑

—mike
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi guys, it's me again!

The title for this page should be revised to ‘Going Postal … Tis the Season!’ Haha! 📫

Today’s trip to my local Post Office … USPS quote for a regular size envelope to Finland (1.30 Oz.) containing a few figure sprues: $13.50 “Small Package Rate” with a giant Customs form to fill out (“envelope with contents other than paper”). Sheesh! — plastic figures, not human trafficking!

Alternatively, with the kind postal worker’s extra effort (a few taps on the keyboard), she was able to come up with another option: $3.23 with a much shorter Customs form — whew! I just hope the envelope arrives at its final destination, sometime in the year 2017!

And don’t get me started on my missing UPS package … “Delivered to Local Post Office,” USPS claims it was “Delivered In/At Mailbox” — not! I checked all over ... even the edge of my pickup bed. Yeah! ... UPS actually balanced a package there once! 📦

Happy Shipping to all! 🌎 🌍 🌏
—mike
Removed by original poster on 12/20/16 - 21:29:07 (GMT).
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.....Alternatively, with the kind postal worker’s extra effort (a few taps on the keyboard), she was able to come up with another option: $3.23 with a much shorter Customs form — whew! I just hope the envelope arrives at its final destination, sometime in the year 2017!

And don’t get me started on my missing UPS package … “Delivered to Local Post Office,” USPS claims it was “Delivered In/At Mailbox” — not! I checked all over ... even the edge of my pickup bed. Yeah! ... UPS actually balanced a package there once! 📦

Happy Shipping to all! 🌎 🌍 🌏
—mike

Mike,
Now you know why I told you to physically go to the PO to get a proper quote. I've totally given up on UPS and FedEx, because they don't insure, they are not careful with packages, and their customer support when something is lost is almost nil. My wife and I returned from a three hour outing last week, and she received an alert from Macy's that a package had been delivered. We noted the front door mat was lying on the driveway, but there was no package to be seen. Expecting the worst, I went to my neighbor's house because they have a camera system, as we were checking it, we clearly saw a contract FedEx walk two packages to the house, but stepping on the mat, he left neither, turned around and went to my neighbors house. There he left both packages. When we checked his front door, sure enough, one package was for my neighbor, but the other was for us. Guess the guy was reading the address' wrong. I've never had that problem with the USPS. My carrier and I have an agreement-- nobody home, don't leave a package. This is also the season for mail theft big time. Was just watching the news last night where one home owner has taken the problem into his own hands and is planting booby-trapped packages for the crooks to steal. He uses a detonating blank shot gun shell rigged to a cord-- the crooks literally run screaming from the house--without the package. I've thought of something less loud, but perhaps more sinister involving something my dogs routinely leave in the back yard.
VR Russ
 _GOTOTOP