_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Colder weather safety stop.
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 04:58 PM UTC
Not sure how it is where you live, but here in the Northeastern US we are beginning our winter hibernation LOL. With that, comes increased use of heaters and windows being shut, and I just thought Id throw this quick winter safety tip out there as a reminder!

Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector in your residence??? Carbon monoxide poisoning usually starts as a generally bad feeling with headache, general weakness, and flu like symptoms. It can progress to dizziness and unconsciousness if not found. Check ALL your gas fired appliances and make sure they are working. Check the chimney if you have one or the vent stack and make sure its not blocked. If your clothes dryer is gas fired particularly check the vent hose and lint trap. Make sure you are getting enough fresh air in from the outside, and if you are unsure call emergency services to check your house for CO!

Lastly, EVERY HOME should have working smoke detectors. Working means changing the batteries twice a year, take 5 and check!

Here is to your local emergency services never being called to your home.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the headsup,I work for the gas company and have responded many years on these type calls,you would be surprised how many people say,that thing wouldn't stop beeping so I finally had to pull the battery out.They didn't realize that it was beeping because they had CO in their house,if it beeps call the fire dept.Some of my co workers over the years have found dead and sick people from CO poisoning.It can and does happen
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 04:17 AM UTC
Im gonna pop this back up to the top for a minute... to tell you briefly about a 41 year old male and his 9 year old son who died last night because of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. They were found today, dead of CO poisoning. I wrote it once, and it bears repeating.... Please please please... have your gas fired appliances serviced and checked by professionals and MAKE SURE you have a CO DETECTOR THAT WORKS..... never a good time to lose a life, but especially in the season...

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/20161207/update-carbon-monoxide-kills-acushnet-father-and-young-son
 _GOTOTOP