_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Health and safety while building?
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I wanted to get your feedback on the potential health hazards of modelling particularly in the building phase. I use a respirator and face shield when airbrushing, but nothing when I'm building. You've got the fumes from the cement but I hold my breath when working close to my face and use a desk fan right next to me to blow the fumes away. I'm also concerned about maybe getting the little plastic flecks in my mouth and ingesting them. Would that be bad?

My head has been feeling very weird the last few days and I'm trying to determine what it could be.

The best solution I suppose would be to wear a dust mask but I wear glasses and they fog up. I'm looking for a brand that fits in such a way that that doesn't happen.

Anyway thanks guys. Would appreciate any feedback.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 04:37 PM UTC
Which type of cement/glue are you using ?

I use a solvent called ethylic acetate (main component of some types of acetone free nail polish removers) and I put the cap bck on the bottle as soon as possible to reduce the amount of fumes. Since very little is required to achieve a good bonding of the styrene parts there is very little fumes from the actual glueing. I use capillary action to draw the solvent into the joint (hold the parts together, apply solvent to the joint with small brush).

/ Robin
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 04:51 PM UTC
Do you have a Carbon Monoxide detector in your residence??? Carbon monoxide poisoning usually starts as a generally bad feeling with headache, general weakness, and flu like symptoms. It can progress to dizziness and unconsciousness if not found. Check ALL your gas fired appliances and make sure they are working. Check the chimney if you have one or the vent stack and make sure its not blocked. If your clothes dryer is gas fired particularly check the vent hose and lint trap. Make sure you are getting enough fresh air in from the outside, and if you are unsure call emergency services to check your house for CO!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:19 PM UTC
I spent most of my military career specializing in chemical, biological and nuclear protection, and frankly the hazards faced in modeling are miniscule compared to other industrial hazards out there. That being said, some common sense while modeling is always required. Wearing an MSA approved respirator while spraying large volumes of any kind of paint (including water based acrylics) is always a good idea. Applying small applications of paint over small surfaces with a fine line airbrush are probably no more hazardous than using a spay insecticide, hairspray or kitchen cleaner in the house without protection. Most of the glues we use are hazardous in large concentrations in small spaces. Sanding dust might be hazardous if you have allergies, but plastic is pretty benign, and the scale is usually small, however, if you are using power tools to sand large areas, you should always use a mask or have a filtration/purification unit operating. My head fells funny too- and I have not done any modeling for six weeks now-- it's more likely the change of season depending on where you live affecting sinuses-- but I wouldn't rule out individual sensitivity to different products. If you notice after using a certain product that you have a reaction, stop using it or use it only when wearing proper protection. Personally, I wear latex free gloves when modeling, if I'm airbrushing large areas I use an MSA approved respirator (I work in my garage, so I have a large volume airspace), I try and keep my liquid cements capped when not being used, and I wear clothing that I only use while modeling (keeps my nice clothing from getting ruined by spills and tears). I do keep dust at a minimum when sanding large areas through several techniques-- I'm fortunate in that I have a quiet, large volume air cleaner I use for woodworking which filters air and doubles as an air cleaner when painting, but you can do the same thing with a shop vac mounted on the workbench-- if you can stand the noise, or a fume hood exhausted outside. You can also do large volume sanding under running water in a sink with wet-dry sandpaper. I hear about modelers complaining about various paint and glue smells in my local club occasionally, but some of the same people think nothing of smoking, spraying insecticides or hairsprays and cleaners all over thier houses every day, exposing themselves to chemicals far more harmful than spending a few hours on the workbench with some paint or glue. After all, most of us don't live with the workbench in the kitchen or bath. Some of those household chemicals are pretty hazardous in large concentrations in small areas (most insecticides are nerve agent derivatives after all). The suggestion about a carbon monoxide detector is an excellent one-- this is the season when we are all buttoned up-- if you have a gas furnace without a CO2 detector, or you have any combustion source near your workbench without a detector operating, you are at risk. I use an electric radiant heat emitter in my garage for warmth in the winter-- it keeps my workspace toasty without worrying about CO2, and generally only heats organic material (me!) Hope this helps you a little.
VR, Russ
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 04:22 AM UTC
For what it’s worth … I recently got into the habit of placing a damp paper towel onto my workbench. This helps to catch most of the dust and shavings created while sanding and filing. When finished, I use the same paper towel to wipe down the whole area — makes cleanup a snap. HTH.

—mike
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 05:00 AM UTC
I think the "normal" life is more dangeruos and poisoning the my little sessions of modeling....basic common sense i think is more then enogh,open window,mask wehen spray, etc...
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 07:27 AM UTC
The other hazard would be sanding resin. Wet sanding is best; the particles have a similar profile to asbestos.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The other hazard would be sanding resin. Wet sanding is best; the particles have a similar profile to asbestos.

Well... having actual experience with asbestos cleanup operations, resin particles are nowhere near as toxic or hazardous or similar to asbestos, which is a serious microscopic carcinogen requiring full body hazmat suits and certified asbestos respirators. Like polystyrene, resin particles are relatively large in comparison to asbestos, and relatively benign and inert. But they can still cause irritation in the nasal passages, lungs, and eyes, which can lead to inflammation in the lungs if exposed to large quantities over long periods of time. When I sand large quantities of resin I use a conforming surgical mask and gloves, and that's about it. I build a lot of resin-- see my article on building CMR's (Czech Master Resin) Short S-23 seaplane below:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Czechmaster_Resin_1_72_Short_S-23.php

For really large projects like this S-23, I use wet-dry sandpaper mounted on a 1/4" thick glass sheet under running water in my laundry room sink--this cuts down the dust to almost nothing, and gives smooth, perfectly flat mating surfaces. For smaller items I do what someone mentioned above-- wipe the work area with a wet towel-- I don't even wear a mask because I don't generate enough dust. Resin dust and polystyrene dust really don't travel far in the air (unless you are using a power tool to sand with), so the inhalation hazard is low for most small modeling projects we normally do. As I mentioned before, I wear work clothes which I vacuum off and launder often, which keeps me from dragging modeling "dirt" into the house and keeps my better half happy!
VR Russ

Scarred
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC
I have a fan several feet behind me that when I build I'll switch it on low and aim it about 90 degrees from my seat and slightly upwards. This angle and low speed doesn't blow dust or debis towards my table or project but it does keep the air moving enough that fumes don't build up. I turn it off when spray painting/air brushing though. More than 4 decades of modelling, using mainly enamel and lacquers and I've never had any issues from fumes since I've always had great ventilation.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a fan several feet behind me that when I build I'll switch it on low and aim it about 90 degrees from my seat and slightly upwards. This angle and low speed doesn't blow dust or debis towards my table or project but it does keep the air moving enough that fumes don't build up. I turn it off when spray painting/air brushing though. More than 4 decades of modelling, using mainly enamel and lacquers and I've never had any issues from fumes since I've always had great ventilation.

Patrick,
Having a small fan near the workspace is a great idea, I too have been modeling in one form or another on and off using enamels and other "hazardous" chemicals since about 1959 without problems. Ive found the best solution is to keep the workspace neat and clean-- this avoids lots of problems. Having a workspace in a well ventilated area certainly helps, but I understand that's a luxury many modelers can't enjoy due to space or cost. In those cases, a few simple precautions can help. I have a modeling buddy in his 80s who has been using a simple painting system for years by airbrushing over a small kitchen trash can with a grate on it for small painting jobs. He keeps a quantity of paper towels in the bottom-- since paint is heavier than air when atomized, most of it goes into the can. He uses low volume air to paint with too. I use 8-12 PSI myself when painting, which keeps overspray down considerably. Anything in life we do can be hazardous if we don't think about what we're doing-- personally, I think there are more household risks out there than modeling risks, at least we are aware of the modeling risks and take precautions.
VR, Russ
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:16 AM UTC
Thanks very much guys. That eases my mind about it. I've got my little desk fan and I've ordered some simple masks that are designed for use with eye wear so they don't fog up your glasses. I don't have much ventilation but the room I work in is a large bedroom.

For painting I have a garden shed and I use a respirator with organic vapour cartridges for everything. I also use a face guard for fear of paint spraying back off the model and into my face. Don't laugh. Once, after sparaying with some Humbrol matt coat I noticed I could smell the stuff on my glasses.

I've been considering a apray booth. Does anyone use them? Or do you reckon the mask and visor is good enough?

Thanks again everyone. Happy and safe modelling.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:53 AM UTC
For the most part, I use acrylics, with the occasional lacquer primer for metal parts. Regardless of what I'm spraying, how small the part is, or how short the paint session may be, I always rig-up (eye protection / respirator) and turn on the spray-booth. Though it may seem cumbersome at first, it all becomes second-nature after awhile.

—mike
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 05:45 PM UTC
Sometimes I out of distraction places my brush in my Single Malt instead of in the assigned glas of water ... good luck the acrylics are tasteless
Steven000
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
It's not only paint that can be harmful!

Today my dad was sawing some scrap wood on an old table-saw in the garage... He was wearing a dust mask and safety glasses, but because these glasses got foggy when exhaling in the dust mask he took them off! ...

Some metal from the saw blade hit his left-eye! I drove him to the hospital, doctor said it was bad...

As I'm typing this he is anesthetized for surgery.
There's a big chance he will be blind one-eye!...

Please! PLEASE use safety equipment when it's necessary!!!
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
Steve,
So sorry to hear about your Dad, I hope and pray all will be well with him. Safety equipment should be used whenever power equipment is operational, and the equipment should be well maintained per the manufacturers instructions. I'm also a woodworker, and have experienced the fogging of the googles you mentioned-- an old trick is to spit on the lens, and work it in with a finger-- a bit gross I suppose, but it does keep them from fogging-- there are also better commercial anti-fog products too. I'm not not making light of your situation, but my experience is just when you take the safety equipment off or get in a hurry around a power tool, that's when the accident will happen. I try and remember that every time I'm tempted to take off a safety device or to take a "shortcut" on a project. I'm still growing a thumbnail back from an accident two years ago when I failed to make a gap adjustment on a disk sander mounted on my table saw-- I had the table distance at 1" for cutting, and was too lazy to adjust it to the 1/4" the manufacturer recommended for sanding. My thumb got caught in the gap against the sanding disk when my wood project turned in the gap-- and in an instant I sanded the nail completely off along with a good part of the side of my thumb as it was drawn into the 3000 RPM sanding disk. You know you've been stupid when you can see the bone in the side of a finger-- and you did it to yourself. Power tools demand respect whenever they are turned on. Again, my best to you and your Dad, hopefully he'll have a good outcome.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 07:29 PM UTC
When I was in high school I had a run in with a chainsaw on which my stepfather disabled the anti-kickback device and hadn't warned me. Let's just say I lost a lot of blood but not the arm. He had this thing about "safety forced" that made him disable most safety devices on his tools. That one incident taught me to respect those little devices and shields.
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 07:45 PM UTC
I do not use any protection whilst modelling. I have sliced fingers numerous times, breathed the heady scent of MEK and other volatile solvents Managed to tip a bottle of liquid glue into my lap, when it hits the assorted dangly bits in your groin it really smarts! I am 68 but reading these posts make me think I ought to stay in bed wearing a helmet in case I fall out. Life is not risk free, but if you feel the need then take SENSIBLE precautions.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I am 68 but reading these posts make me think I ought to stay in bed wearing a helmet in case I fall out. Life is not risk free, but if you feel the need then take SENSIBLE precautions.

and a lot of people die in the bathroom so whatever you do: DON'T GO IN THERE !

/ Robin
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
There is one safety item that IS needed, a fire extinguisher. I do soldering on my hobby table where I have plastic, paints, glues, thinners and those things don't play well with heat.
 _GOTOTOP