Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
On Line Hobby Stores - Your Experiences
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC
Ordered several items from a well known on-line store a month ago. Their web site still shows my purchases as "pending". The site has an [email protected] which does not work. So right now I have a 40% completed kit and no way of finishing because what I need is still "Pending"

What has been your experiences???
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 02:00 AM UTC
Well,so far I have had no bad experiences with online ordering,and that includes ebay and companies in China,Japan,Russia,and Poland.Maybe just been lucky but I also read all the shipping policies,in stock or back ordered,and pre order items.

So who's the well known company and how did they list your stuff ? In stock,back order,or pre order ?
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC
I have just 2 "bad" experiences in many years, one from Russia they list in Stock but was not true and the second my mistake i dont read "Backorder 2-3 weeks restock" but the 2-3 weeks become 4 months then i delete the order and have my $$$ back
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC
The Company is in China. The items were back ordered 2-3 weeks it has now been 6 weeks since I ordered. I'm guessing I will be lucky to see these models any time soon.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 07:15 PM UTC
For the past year I have been ordering from online shops and so far my experiences have been good . A very hick-ups but this more related to shipping methods which I didn't care for .

However , I mainly stick with ordering form Ultracast . Awesome customer services . On my last order one of the resin set was missing the main instrument panel . I emailed them and they in returned emailed the manufacture . The manufacture mailed me the part , which ended up being the wrong item . Ultracast again emailed the manufacture and they resent the correct item . They will continue on getting my business .

I also order form Hannants ( lots) Haven't had any troubles with them . If Hannants doesn't have what I looking for then I will look else where for those items .

Terri
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 09:16 PM UTC
Maybe I've been lucky. We have lost our last military oriented hobby shop in Milwaukee, Panther Hobbies, late last year. So the internet hobby shops is my only option niow. I've always ordered from Dragon and have had zero problems. Squadron a few times, same with Lucky Hobbies except I mostly ship surface when they have their $2 flat rate shipping deal and it takes a few months. When the kits finally arrive it's almost like Christmas as I've forgotten what I've ordered.
Yesterday, I received my first shipment from Sprue Bros. That was a smooth 2 day turn around.
All in all I think the on line shops are pretty good and won't hesitate to use them.
Frank, sorry to hear about your problem, Have you tried cancelling the order and re-ordering it or finding another vendor ? Hate to se a project grind to a halt. Momentum is such a tough thing to regain (at least for me).
Good Luck !
Tom
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2017 - 11:33 PM UTC
I order online from several sites and usually things go rather smoothly. I have noticed that overseas shipping can be slowed to molasses due to shipping methods and/or Customs — sometimes months. Recently, I sent a small letter-size package to Finland with good luck — took about two weeks. However, I had two inbound packages go MIA in our own USPS system. In one case, the order has been sent again by the seller — excellent customer service; the other was purchased through Amazon and to date, there’s been no way to resolve the issue … last scanned at USPS facility. 📦

—mike

PS: The following thread hasn’t been updated in awhile, but it might be useful to some.
List and comments for retail vendors
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 07, 2017 - 12:51 AM UTC
Edit: Here's the thread I originally intended to link to. HTH.

Retail Vendors -Consolidated List

—mike
whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:58 PM UTC
I looked at online stores, it is very hard to compare, and the shipping is varied so I go to closest hobby shop, who is also online. Brunel Hobbies. http://www.brunelhobbies.com.au/index.html

We have to support these stores whth a shop front or one day, you need glue and its 3 days shipping.

You can spend hours comparing prices, few cents here and there. Also, somtimes I have ordered from ebay and paid only to be told no stock!
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 04:10 AM UTC
I guess I've been pretty lucky also since I've had no real issues over the years I've been purchasing online. I did get sent a 1:72 aftermarket piece once when I had ordered 1:48 but the vendor promptly sent the correct piece.
Currently I had pre-ordered a kit last June which was supposed to be shipped in July but then got 'postponed till August' then was 'sure to be ready' by last September and finally December. Well, it's January and I'm still waiting!
The company still hasn't taken the funds from my credit card so I'm not particularly worried.
Cheers,
C.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 09:54 AM UTC
Like others, I haven't had too many problems with ordering things on-line. If ánything, it's just having to wait for the delivery. I try to get as much stuff as possible in one order, rather than ordering piece-meal, and having a delay in finishing the kit (I can create my own delays, thank you!).

My most recent fiasco, though, was with a seller on Amazon: when I contacted the seller, they first denied they had an order from me via Amazon, then, they told me the order number was wrong, and finally, they just gave me a lame "the order is shipped", but no tracking number. I found the tracking number via Amazon, and then USPS gave the package a tour of the east coast before it finally got to me. Last time I order from them.