History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Stealth Destroyers
oraora
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
entire network: 216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:34 AM UTC
I've been wondering, is the Stealth Destroyers real? are those things operational or just protype or even just on the drawing board?

oraora
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
The Sea Shadow by Revell is a real ship, but I don't know if there is a combat version. With the way it is designed, doesn't look like it would be too hard to arm the thing with missiles.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
From what I have read the Sea Shadow is a one and only at this time. But then again I am not a swabbie, so I have no insider info. The new destroyer designs I believe are still in teh computer and will be "stealthy"
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
France already sells destroyers that are considered to be "stealthy"...
We've sold some to Taiwan.
The problem today is that there were also some stealth money transfers involved... And the french
justice has great difficulties checking things around because quite a surprising number of the people
involved have commited suicide or had accidents...
No, this is not a movie, this is reality... (my first red meemy )
oraora
Visit this Community
Kuching, Malaysia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:48 PM UTC
I know taiwan has bought a few of the "le fey....something" class, right? I think singapore has purchase a few too. Too bad my country is more interested in spending our money on a couple of subs(from france too, if i'm not mistaken) instead of surface vessel. I think the Sea Shadow is quite aerodynamic. Looks kinda nice. If i ever become my country's Defence Minister (hah! Fat chance me being a minister!), that's the first ship i would buy!!!
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC
The Sea shadow was an experimental prototype designed to test/prove several stealth technologies. She was never an "operational" unit. Some of the concepts were sucessful and have been incorporated into the fleet. I think she is still in San Diego. If you look at the superstructure of some of the newer warships, you might notice a resemblance to the stealth fighter in that the shapes and angles are similar. These shapes are more difficult for a radar to "see".
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
I buttume the detrimental effects of salt water limit your stealth protective cover....does anybody know?
DJ
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 04:28 PM UTC
When you see the price / work involved on maintaining the stealth protective cover on F117s and B2s,
you find it difficult to believe it'll be used on a ship...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC
I tried unsuccessfully to edit my previous post. Here is what I wanted say "I buttume the detrimental effects of salt water on the material must limit the stealth vessel's protection....can anyone comment on this?
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried unsuccessfully to edit my previous post. Here is what I wanted say "I buttume the detrimental effects of salt water on the material must limit the stealth vessel's protection....can anyone comment on this?
DJ

I don't think the stealth ability is affected by sea water. The shape is the important thing in reducing radar cross-section. The other features reported in open sources seem to be designed to reduce the exhaust and electronic signature and don't appear to rely on any type of coating. It is supposedly designed to have good sea-keeping abilities. I would reserve judgement on that point until I've spent a couple months riding her in the North Atlantic or the Gulf of Alaska in December!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:36 PM UTC
Radar absorbant paints are supposed to be quite efficient... on the other hand, they are rather fragile.
They are usualy some kind of special paint with some metalic particles mixed into it. That way, the
paint will asorb part of the energy from the radar beem.
A problem is that you need to have a rather smooth surface for this to be effective.
If something, like for exemple damaged paint, stops the electrical current in the skin of the ship,
a radar wave will be sent back.
I'm no chemist but you know, salty air can do much damage... Imagine the result on the
corners from hatches for exemple...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Radar absorbant paints are supposed to be quite efficient... on the other hand, they are rather fragile.
They are usualy some kind of special paint with some metalic particles mixed into it. That way, the
paint will asorb part of the energy from the radar beem.
A problem is that you need to have a rather smooth surface for this to be effective.
If something, like for exemple damaged paint, stops the electrical current in the skin of the ship,
a radar wave will be sent back.
I'm no chemist but you know, salty air can do much damage... Imagine the result on the
corners from hatches for exemple...

That is an interesting point. Just how much do you cover to ensure the non-reflectivity of the ship? I can not see coating the vessel. I can understand placing the coating on, for example, the highly reflective flat surfaces.
DJ
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 05:00 AM UTC
yes, it could come as a good complement to a specific shape. You'd probably have to start with the highest parts of the ship. I wonder if the masts are not already covered in some kind of material...
A few things would have to be avoided first : the superstructure meeting the bridge at a 90 degree angle, for exemple... When you look at modern US warships, you just say : gosh, that's not stealthy... Still, removing all the stuff from the bridge certainly helped reduce their radar cross section a lot.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 06:21 AM UTC
Pen pen--Interesting.
thanks for the response
DJ