_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Questions
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi guys, sorry but i just got some more questions. I guess untill I'm comfortable with the knowledge I've absorbed I will keep asking questions instead of answering them. Please bear with me.

What is the difference between Revell-Monogram and Revell Germany ? Looking at the perspective of aircraft is one manufacturer better than the other?

For 1:48 scale aircraft which manufacturer do you recommend for a reasonable price?
Are Academy kits any good?

Thanks, expect more questions to come as i bump into them
Leader
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:54 AM UTC
I think the main difference is where each distributes, R-germany in europe and r -monogram here.Although I do remember one or the other may have exclusivity on some kits.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:09 AM UTC
Tricky question. Some Revell-Monogram kits are ancient kits from the 60s and 70s, others are recent and are top-notch. Some that are of medium age, A-10 for example, are the best of that type of kit available. Same with the F-15E Strike Eagle and the AV-8B Harrier.

Revell of Germany reboxes some Italeri, Revell-Monogram and even Matchbox kits. Some kits are of their own design.

So...best bet is to ask about a particular kit, i.e. How is the Revell of Germany Comanche vs. the Italeri one?, etc.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess untill I'm comfortable with the knowledge I've absorbed I will keep asking questions instead of answering them. Please bear with me.

Everyone here asks questions, so don't feel bad about asking your own. You'll problably find there are some questions that you can answer too; I know I was surprised how many fellow modelers I was able to help out.

Nic
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:16 PM UTC
And just to add to the confusion, there is the fact that SOME R-G kits are all-new tooling and exclusive, like their beautiful 1/72 P-51B. OTHER R-G kits are, frankly, old Matchbox clunkers that have been re-boxed. Buyer beware. With the exception of the very impressive 1/72 Flower Class Corvette (that's a SHIP, fellas, in 1/72....gotta start mine someday) most Matchbox kits aren't worth the dead dinosaurs they are molded in.
Greg
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:34 PM UTC
Another 1/48 scale R.M. Kit that has been re-boxed but comes HIGHLY Recommended by those that build them on a regular basis is the F-15E Strike Eagle. It is kit # 05511. I haven ot built it yet. BUT all that I have heard and seen it is an excellent O.O.B.
kit with little or no Addittions needed. "Good Luck"

DAGGER-1 "To The Victor, Go The Spoils"
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
One thing I have noticed about Revell-Germany is that they produce a lot of modern German military vehicles, even home built or German modificatins of ols US equipment, something Revell-Monogram does not do. Welcome aboard and join the rest of us with your questions.

Jeff
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 02:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys, sorry but i just got some more questions. I guess untill I'm comfortable with the knowledge I've absorbed I will keep asking questions instead of answering them. Please bear with me.

I do the same thing. This is the only place where you can become a Major (so far) just by asking questions. The best part is when I ask stupid questions, they don't make me feel stupid
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
nothing wrong with asking questions,ask away
Army
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 96 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
Remember...The only stupid question is the one NOT asked :-)
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 08:14 PM UTC
Leader,
The others in the group have pretty much covered the bases on this thread, but one thing I want to point out about R/G. Their newer armor kits in 1/72 are outstanding!! I didn't really build much in the way of 1/72 armor until recently. My son took up an interest in wanting to build a model with me so I bought 2 of the Panzer III M kits and away we went. When I cracked the box I was amazed at what I saw. No overly thick parts and stiff as a board rubber band tracks. The tracks were length and run and everything was nice and crisply molded. While not all of the kits will fall into this category, they are some impressive kits for their scale. As far as their aicraft go... I have several from each. R/M and R/G and both have their merits. I'd suggest that if at all possible get eyes on the kit you want to buy, and just as you did here, ask questions. HTH "Q"
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:00 PM UTC
Recent Revell G kits are usualy quite good ( the same as the italeri ones ).
On the other hand, I've had mixed experience with the older ones.
I think that their 1/48th FW190 A8 (short nose) is a reboxing from an older company
that's disapeared now and it's supposed to be beautiful... They scaled it down to
produce the same nice kit in 1/72nd. And these kits are rather inexpensive (their
most recent 1/72nd kits are some of the best considering price/quality ratio).
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hasegawa makes excellent series of Me109s (and some other ww2 planes) in 1:48 scale. After finishing one of those you want to build another one!

Toni
mihaip
Visit this Community
Romania
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
Revell Germany newer kits (both aircraft and 1/72 tanks - actaully they started making armor not very long time ago) are quite good. But older aircrafts (untill 3-4 years ago) stink big time!!! Major fit problems, incorrect size for scale, small parts full of extra plastic and so on.

Revell occasionally used Italery and Hasegawa molds for their kits, I have only heard of ona Italery repackaged kit (and I don' remember which one).
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Revell occasionally used Italery and Hasegawa molds for their kits, I have only heard of ona Italery repackaged kit (and I don' remember which one).

I believe that a lot fo RoG's kits are repackaged Italeri, take a look at the RAH-66 Comanche and the F-22 Raptor as well as the M998 and M1038 HMMWVs.
 _GOTOTOP