_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Track links expensive?
Thlorian
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hello all - been a collector of models for 15+ years and FINALLY started building them. I am on my third one now (each a tank) so still very much a noob! Would like to use aftermarket track links on this one for the first time instead of the plastic ones that came with the kit. So why are track links on the expensive side ... in that the model costs $50 and the Fruilmodel links are $40 + $10 for shipping! Are there other companies who make track links for models?

Thanks...
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 02:58 PM UTC
Al,
there are a lot of different AM tracks out there. Some, as you noticed, are more expensive than others; Friuls being the most notoriously expensive. It is pretty painful to double or even triple the cost of a build with those, but my experience is the Friuls just can't be beat for ease of assembly and overall finish. I've found they can generally be had on e-bay for quite a bit less than from more mainstream suppliers. I've just finished a set of Friuls for an IDF M-60 and they were actually fun to assemble. AFV Club, Bronco, and Modelkasten are some of the other names you'll frequently see associated with AM tracks. I have some Bronco tracks for an M3 Grant that were half the price of Friuls, but on the other hand they need five tiny pieces PER LINK to assemble. I've been working on those forever it seems.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 03:39 PM UTC
For wite metal tracks similar to Fruils,take a look at Spade Ace metal tracks,they run cheaper and are available in eBay stores.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 05:13 PM UTC
The material is usually more expensive and the tracks are workable. I second Spade Ace. I had to drill out a few links, but the appearance was well worth it. The biggest issue that I have, with metal tracks is painting them. You have to blacken(blacken before you assemble) or use self etching primer.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The material is usually more expensive and the tracks are workable. I second Spade Ace. I had to drill out a few links, but the appearance was well worth it. The biggest issue that I have, with metal tracks is painting them. You have to blacken(blacken before you assemble) or use self etching primer.

You dont really need to blacken them, i paint figurine in white metal and i use the normal tamiya gray primer,never have any problem like every figurine paiter before me...
Thlorian
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 07:44 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the great tips...
Apprentice
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 - 08:55 AM UTC
Try GTG Resin. I got my Tiger 1 tracks from them and I liked them. They are snap-on and workable.
 _GOTOTOP