TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Finally!!! Eastern Front Movie!!!
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 08:29 AM UTC
Check this out, finally we get a big budget, American Studio action film on the eastern front! Just what the world needed!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5556250/
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 10:21 AM UTC
The synopsis sounds just like Cross of Iron.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:08 PM UTC
This could be good news. Let's hope they don't "Pearl Harbor" it.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Cross of Iron wasn't bad, but I hear you. Who knows what it'll look like though. I'm hoping it's a modern war movie with "Fury"/"SPR" levels of intensity/violence. All while keeping the scope and scale of the war in mind, with decent writing.

In other words, Saving Private Ryan, but in the Eastern Front. I don't think that's something that's been seen before, let alone something that can be comprehended.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well Cross of Iron wasn't bad, but I hear you. Who knows what it'll look like though. I'm hoping it's a modern war movie with "Fury"/"SPR" levels of intensity/violence. All while keeping the scope and scale of the war in mind, with decent writing.

In other words, Saving Private Ryan, but in the Eastern Front. I don't think that's something that's been seen before, let alone something that can be comprehended.

The German Stalingrad comes to mind as does the Soviet miniseries Liberation .

How about the Finnish The Winter War ?

All on a level with SPR (if not higher) and about the Eastern Front. In fact I think White Tiger is a superior movie to Fury Much more realistic tank on tank combat.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
Sure,I'll watch it.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,099 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:05 PM UTC
Wasn't Enemy At The Gates already an big budget US movie about the eastern front 14 years ago?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasn't Enemy At The Gates already an big budget US movie about the eastern front 14 years ago?

That was the title of the movie,but it didn't cover the whole campaign,it focused in on the duel between the Soviet sniper Zaitzvev and Major Kornings,and even that wasn't really accurate.The movie was entertaining,but nothing like the book.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All on a level with SPR (if not higher) and about the Eastern Front. In fact I think White Tiger is a superior movie to Fury Much more realistic tank on tank combat.

I've seen all those movies with the exception of Liberation. I don't think any of those films were on par with SPR as far as directoral decisions go, or things like cinematography, sound mixing, historical equipment/uniforms, etc. White Tiger I will agree was superior to Fury in terms of tank combat, but all the films you mentioned are foreign films. Not to bash on them, but I think a Hollywood production could, and would look/sound a whole lot better than those.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 09:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was the title of the movie,but it didn't cover the whole campaign,it focused in on the duel between the Soviet sniper Zaitzvev and Major Kornings,and even that wasn't really accurate.The movie was entertaining,but nothing like the book.

Ya and all I remeber where how weak the explosions and gunfire sounded, not to mention the all British ensemble
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2016 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've seen all those movies with the exception of Liberation. I don't think any of those films were on par with SPR as far as directoral decisions go, or things like cinematography, sound mixing, historical equipment/uniforms, etc. White Tiger I will agree was superior to Fury in terms of tank combat, but all the films you mentioned are foreign films. Not to bash on them, but I think a Hollywood production could, and would look/sound a whole lot better than those.

The problem I find is that those Hollywood touches are usually for the worse, not the better.

Liberation is definitely worth finding. Try an 8 hour miniseries covering Kursk to Berlin with a concentration on Zhukov with reenacted battles as large as the originals. But then one of my favorite eastern front movies is the Italian Attack and Retreat
windsheer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 133 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2016 - 04:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ya and all I remeber where how weak the explosions and gunfire sounded, not to mention the all British ensemble

you can cut that anti Brit sentiment there Joe, it was a British cast and crew with some american actors too, as far as weak gun fire and explosions go, turn your sound up, the stuka attack and not enough weapons to go around at the start was an eye opener.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

you can cut that anti Brit sentiment there Joe, it was a British cast and crew with some american actors too, as far as weak gun fire and explosions go, turn your sound up, the stuka attack and not enough weapons to go around at the start was an eye opener.

Haha, I'm joking about the British actors. I was just poking fun at the way everyone seems to get upset over non-native actors in period pieces. I personally thought Joseph Fiennes really stole the show as the commissar.

But besides everything else, the love triangle was unnecessary addition to the movie, mainly because it never happened
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The problem I find is that those Hollywood touches are usually for the worse, not the better.

Liberation is definitely worth finding. Try an 8 hour miniseries covering Kursk to Berlin with a concentration on Zhukov with reenacted battles as large as the originals. But then one of my favorite eastern front movies is the Italian Attack and Retreat

damn, got to see that too
Shrimpman
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 03:15 AM UTC
I've just seen 'Battle for Sevastopol', a joint Ukrainian-Russian production. Not bad at all, It's nowhere close to Saving Private Ryan, but I enjoyed it much more than 'Stalingrad'. I was very sceptical about the first 30 minutes that took place in peace time in 1937 and 1941, especially 1937 bothered me, as Soviet Union was portrayed as a happy, relaxed and opulent place... during the Great Terror. Rrrright... And when some random characters started chatting about foreign policies, it actually made me laugh out loud. But the war itself is portrayed much better, shows human side, but without those usual scenes dripping with pathos that American films got us used to. Worth seeing.