_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Canadair CL-89 launch vehicle?
airdefensegal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC
I am trying to find modeling info about the Canadian 6x6 launcher for Canadair's CL-89 surveillance drone. I have a small file on the drone itself, and have plumbed the interwebs for information, which has yielded good material on the follow-on CL-289 on French and German launch trucks, but just fragmentary pictures of the tests at CFB Shilo. (Even getting a definitive ID of what "deuce and a half" Canada was using in the mid-60s wold be a help.)

Thanks in advance,
Morgan
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
Morgan,
I can't vouch for all CL 89 Launch trucks-- but the one in the photo you included is a derivative of the basic GMC M135 truck from the early 1950s-60s. This truck was a gasser, had an automatic transmission, and the Canadian Army purchased many of them as their main 2 1/2 ton prime mover to replace the CCKW. As a college student in the 1970's, I used to travel to Bremerton occasionally, and there was a surplus store at Gorst that had a bunch of these Canadian M135s lined up for surplus sales, but they are all gone now. Later, as an Army Officer at Fort Lewis in the early 80s, I saw a few at Yakima the Canadian Army was still using-- all hard cab conversions. You can find more info here, even though the website says they had soft cabs, I believe the one in your photo is a hard cab version, which is all I remember seeing:
http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_www_deuce_m135.php
The US Army also had some of these, but for the most part, the Canadian Army was the big user.
VR, Russ
airdefensegal
Visit this Community
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 09:59 AM UTC
Thanks Russ.
 _GOTOTOP