_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from Tasmania Australia
DanielD
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC
I recently made a review contribution to the site and realised, I haven't even introduced myself to other members!

So please accept my apologies. My name is Daniel Dacey and I live in Tasmania Australia. Like many I first got into the hobby as a kid, building Airfix, Matchbox and the odd very rare Tamiya kit. As I got older, life took me on other journeys and well, the modeling took a back seat.

About ten years ago, I started getting back into model railways (another interest) and started building some card kits for the layout. It wasn't long before i was detailing these, using oil paints and even doing some kit bashing.

Naturally this got me to thinking about doing plastic kits. Last year, work got very stressful and I was looking for something I could do in short breaks, to just take my mind of the day job and I found myself putting together my first kit in many years. The new tooling by Airfix of the Me109E-4 in 1:48 scale. Its a lovely kit and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Then I discovered all the new kits, tools, paints and accessories in the hobby and my wife hasn't stopped complaining about the bills since! The range of stuff out now is amazing!

I've started a blog and a Youtube channel for my projects, which you can find under my user details. I've also just posted my first inbox review on the Aeroscale site for the RS Models Curtis Hawk II. A nice little kit, but as I am finding as I am putting together the build review now, its got some minor problems.

Anyway its been great to be a member of the forums for a while and I hope to be a more active participant in the future.

Dan
CoopsWA
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Greetings from the West...
Hows it going... Im just gathering my "kit" together... fortunately no wife to complain.. just me complaining about how long it takes for stuff to ship in.
Got a stash already but not the tools to make a decent effort.
My last kit was 1985 and yes hasnt the whole extras resin and addons come a long way...
I keep buying bits n bobs for kits might take months to finish my first one
Look forward to seeing your travels
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 01:37 AM UTC
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forums!

Gaz
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC
Hi Daniel.

Welcome to the Kitmaker family.

I've just had a look at your website, some great review there. You obviously enjoy the large scale side of the hobby.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers, D
DanielD
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:21 PM UTC
Hi Grant,
Yes the hobby has come a long way. Vacuum form kits that were awful seemed the staple back then if you wanted something a bit fancy. Now you open a kit and if it isn't swimming with photo-etch and resin parts, its not considered to be very good.

When you do get around to building up the tool chest, I can really recommend you get a good brand airbrush. It will totally change how much enjoyment you get out of building your kits.

Regards,
Dan
DanielD
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the forums!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. Seems we have a few Aussies here, but spread out pretty far!

Dan
DanielD
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Daniel.

Welcome to the Kitmaker family.

I've just had a look at your website, some great review there. You obviously enjoy the large scale side of the hobby.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers, D

Thanks for the Welcome D. Yeah you would be talking about my 1:24 Hurricane? Lost my mojo on that one for a while, but its back on the bench now. Hope to have a video update out for it, as soon as the build blog I am doing now for the Curtiss Hawk is done.

It has been nice to do that Airfix kit after so many years, but I somehow don't think I will do that particular kit again, once its done. I do however have the 1:24 Airfix Focke Wulf 190 and Typhoon in the stash to do.

Regards,
Dan
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 01:32 PM UTC
G'day Mate!...welcome on board!....
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 02:53 PM UTC
I have the 1/24 FW190 from Airfix, and the P-47 Bubbletop from Vintage Fighters, and the 1/24 P-47 Razorback from Kinetic is calling me now as well.
DanielD
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day Mate!...welcome on board!....

Cheers mate.
DanielD
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2016 - 05:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the 1/24 FW190 from Airfix, and the P-47 Bubbletop from Vibtage Fighters, and the 1/24 P-47 Razorback from Kinetic is calling me now as well.

I did forget to mention I also have the Trumpeter 1:24 Me109. Of course the challenge with these big kits, is where do you put them. I have to build them slowly over time, so as not to freak out the wife, when all these big warbirds, appear around the house.
 _GOTOTOP