_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
I guess this is "Goodbye" already
StukaFanatik
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:45 PM UTC
I guess this is "Goodbye" already. Only been a member since September 25th. I just tried to upload pics of my second model, and I'm unable for some reason. It says I have plenty of space left. And they are all jpg's. So I don't understand. And what fun is it too be a part of a group that doesn't allow you to share your hard work? It's a shame, because this was the best site I've been referred to so far. Good things never last long.
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
Jason,
Try reducing the size of your photograph before you upload it. It is something I routinely forget about but that will almost always solve the problem.
If something isn't working you can always ask for help. I guess there is always something of a learning curve, hopefully this one will be pretty shallow.
Cheers,
Rick
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess this is "Goodbye" already. Only been a member since September 25th. I just tried to upload pics of my second model, and I'm unable for some reason. It says I have plenty of space left. And they are all jpg's. So I don't understand. And what fun is it too be a part of a group that doesn't allow you to share your hard work? It's a shame, because this was the best site I've been referred to so far. Good things never last long.

Don't go yet Jason. Give a pm to the big guys and have them run you through the process...maybe just maybe you're missing a dot or a dash somewhere that an outside eye might see.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Jason,

Don't bail out yet. The gallery system here has always been a source of frustration. Write to me and I try to help. Once you get the hang of it, it works pretty good.

Some people skip the KMN gallery altogether and load their work into Flikr, etc. It works.

fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:16 AM UTC
I generally use a link to my photobucket where most of my pictures are saved.... give that a try and see if it works for you!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:14 AM UTC
But becose the photo is the main problem here why instead of teach people how deal with a absolete and problematic sistem is not possible fix the problem and finaly improve the sistem at 2016 standard?...

Kit maker network is bloody owesome but some thigs looks little bit dated...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:33 AM UTC
Gallery pics need to be 800×600
If you are posting a pic to one of your posts,then all you need is a photo sharing site.

But if you want quit that easily,then there's nothing we can do.If your not having fun,then I guess why bother ?
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But becose the photo is the main problem here why instead of teach people how deal with a absolete and problematic sistem is not possible fix the problem and finaly improve the sistem at 2016 standard?...

Kit maker network is bloody owesome but some thigs looks little bit dated...

Bear in mind the guys that keep this site running do so out of the goodness of their hearts, and whatever time they would have to commit to completely rebuild the site would come at the expense of spending that time on their families, hobbies, etc.

barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hi Jason,

Have you reached out for help with the gallery already? It can be a real pain in the butt, so persevere!

If your jpegs won't load chances are they are too big. You need to use Photoshop or Paint (or any other image-editing software) to chop them down to web-size. I usually reduce mine to about 1600x1200 pixels, which gives files about 150kb in size. I don't know if the system is old-school enough to reject punctuation in the file names, but I avoid it anyway just to be safe. (Older computer systems did not allow "!" or "*" etc in file names, as these were used in system commands...)

Try it again and let us know how you get on!
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bear in mind the guys that keep this site running do so out of the goodness of their hearts, and whatever time they would have to commit to completely rebuild the site would come at the expense of spending that time on their families, hobbies, etc.

I know,i dont say to change averything but basically all the Forums about hobbies and similar stuff is from "guys that keep site running do so out of the goodness of their hearts" but at least the biggest sometimes they try to improve this kind of issue

The tecnology move really fast and if not Kit Maker the owner of the platform do this for $$$, and for make $$$ you have to give something back....some were the $$ of all this advertising goes...no?...

i dont want do any controversy is just my thought...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 09:11 AM UTC
You know I am a graphic artist and producer of 1100 pages of Web content. The whole thing about posting images is size.

Resize to 100 dpi or less for most Web viewing in a forum. You want high resolution, link to a third party provider like photo bucket. Personally I have used it for seven years. This site like a lot of forums has size limits, that is why you go to third party. Also there's only so much space on servers and if everyone uploaded massive image files it gets way expensive.

Don't expect Web forums to do all your hosting for you unless they are all about images like Deviantart. Resize to something a guy still using dial up or with a tight data cap on his smartphone can down load.

And if you need help, ask and listen and learn because though the learning curve can be steep the plateau is easily reached.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 11:52 AM UTC
His gallery has 8 photos, all of which seem to have been uploaded a few days after signing up -- so I don't think the issue was having photos too big to be uploaded.

My guess is that by the next time he wanted to put up pics, he logged in to the gallery and then went directly for the Upload Photos button. Do that and you will surely get this:

I myself get into this at times. The way to go: following log-in, go for either My Photos or My Albums then do the upload/s.

It's a pity he seemed to have given up so easily.

Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:43 PM UTC
That is exactly the problem....you must select My Photos or My Albums at this point, the system needs to know where to put the photos.

It is really not that complicated.

Cheers,
Joe
StukaFanatik
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 03:04 PM UTC
Thanks everyone!I'll try again today. But I've uploaded pics before the same way. And I got one or two posts saying you have to use a jpg. I'm fully aware. Maybe they are a bit large. Last time I posted was late September, so I don't remember if I reduced the size or not. But the KitMaker Gallery is a real confusing thing. And extremely frustrating. When I first started, it took me over an hour just to get my profile pic in the right place. And @Vicious- I'm fully awre that he makers of this site have other things in life. But obviously they created this site for their own entertainment as well. I'm not trying to make any money. I like to look at other people's projects for inspiration and ideas. I'm pretty new in the modelling game. But I hope that soon enough people may see something of mine and learn from it. And you bring up advertising for some reason which is irrelevant to me. This site is doing fine with all of the sponsers. Me adding a few pics isn't going to make a difference in that department. But thanks to the rest of you for being supportive. I'll give it another go. But KitMaker boy, really frustrating and confusing!
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 05:09 PM UTC
Yes, it looks a bit dated
Yes, the technology used may not be the most current
Yes, some aspects of the site are a bit cumbersome to use

and Yes, I am sure that we can find many more things of kitmaker that can't compete with multi billion dollar sites like Facebook, or Twitter or ...

and no, I don't care because what really matters is sharing modelling experiences with like-minded souls from "everywhere" and for that purpose, the technology and lay-out are more than sufficient. This is a modelling community, not a computer club.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it looks a bit dated
Yes, the technology used may not be the most current
Yes, some aspects of the site are a bit cumbersome to use

and Yes, I am sure that we can find many more things of kitmaker that can't compete with multi billion dollar sites like Facebook, or Twitter or ...

and no, I don't care because what really matters is sharing modelling experiences with like-minded souls from "everywhere" and for that purpose, the technology and lay-out are more than sufficient. This is a modelling community, not a computer club.

sincerely about the layout etc ...... I dont care at all so that's great 'but just because it is a model site that concerns the photograph is very important, make more' easy post the photographs, would say more ' quality post with more photos and facilitate learning and sharing ... you prefer and easy to understand an article, book or post with a few pictures, or the opposite? .... and this is most 'important precisely for novices which then they are those who have more 'difficulty to post their own photos!

I bet you like StukaFanatik others have stopped attending or give up posting on the site becose certain difficulties but have not written in a post

and also here for lots of people ,like me,english is not is mother lenguage and a picture more or less can change a lot to understand some explanation,tecnique etc...

and probably in a computer club post picture is less important then here...

my 2 cents...
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hai Vicious,

You are viciously absolutely right

Let's hope that the mighty forces behind kitmaker listen and act.

In my view, the best solution would be that all pictures are initially posted in the picture gallery of choice of the poster. Making a link to such gallery is not that difficult.

However, I think that it remains important for a site like kitmaker to "own" the pictures that appear somewhere in a thread. Otherwise (imagine "photo.net" stopping activities) we risk ending up with a lot of broken picture links on the site and that's horribly annoying. This could of course be done by an automated procedure.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hai Vicious,

You are viciously absolutely right

Let's hope that the mighty forces behind kitmaker listen and act.

In my view, the best solution would be that all pictures are initially posted in the picture gallery of choice of the poster. Making a link to such gallery is not that difficult.

However, I think that it remains important for a site like kitmaker to "own" the pictures that appear somewhere in a thread. Otherwise (imagine "photo.net" stopping activities) we risk ending up with a lot of broken picture links on the site and that's horribly annoying. This could of course be done by an automated procedure.

Amen!...

i agree 100% i dont like post picture with site like photobuket ecc...the best way is to have everything on the site,i foud a lots of owesome post can be very helpful but the picture was lost and the post become useless

Hey Kitmaker boys were you hare??!!....
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 02:25 PM UTC
I can appreciate the notion that one should not invest in a product with which one is disassatisfied; but by the same token it seems a bit unrealistic to complain so strenuously about a service that is being provided free of charge.

While I would not go so far as to say that comments on management of the site would carry more weight if they had a SUBSCRIBER badge above them, I will say it seems a bit disingenuous to say that it''s not been managed well without simultaneously doing what is within one's power to assist.

I'm here to tell you the gallery system is not that difficult to use. That doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve and there isn't room for improvement, but don't lose sight of what it really is (or perhaps more importantly, what it isn't). KMN supports a much smaller community, and consequently has a fraction of the traffic of the major socia networking site. Logically, thead revenue is a fraction of those sites, and the guys do their best, but it's unrealistic to expect KMN to measure up to the same standard.

PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 6,188 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 07:45 PM UTC
Like others have said... Photobucket.

Also, there are way too many other FREE websites to accomplish the task... just an extra step but if it's too hard we can understand. Give up.

If it was easy EVERYONE could do it. At least try.

Jeff
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 10:44 AM UTC
I've been following this one along at a distance for a while-- I'm a computer Luddite, I admit it, my daughter who is a Computer tech with two degrees calls me a PICNIC-- problem in chair, not in computer. But I have found a sneaky way to post stuff recently-- just submit your work to another photo friendly website, and then create a link. However, I'm making a pledge to try and learn how to use photobucket by the end of next year. I really want to fully join you guys!
VR, Russ
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 05:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but by the same token it seems a bit unrealistic to complain so strenuously about a service that is being provided free of charge.

I am not complaining, but this site is dear to me just trying to help make the site better.

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can appreciate the notion that one should not invest in a product with which one is disassatisfied; but by the same token it seems a bit unrealistic to complain so strenuously about a service that is being provided free of charge.

While I would not go so far as to say that comments on management of the site would carry more weight if they had a SUBSCRIBER badge above them, I will say it seems a bit disingenuous to say that it''s not been managed well without simultaneously doing what is within one's power to assist.

I'm here to tell you the gallery system is not that difficult to use. That doesn't mean there isn't a learning curve and there isn't room for improvement, but don't lose sight of what it really is (or perhaps more importantly, what it isn't). KMN supports a much smaller community, and consequently has a fraction of the traffic of the major socia networking site. Logically, thead revenue is a fraction of those sites, and the guys do their best, but it's unrealistic to expect KMN to measure up to the same standard.

I dont "complain strenuously "is the only thing that really would change on the site, is an opinion, advice.

for the "free of charge" the 99.9% of the community like this in the world is free, is not an exception but the norm,,but as KM and the company that serve as host to the site are the same person makes me strange to think of technical difficulties or limitations of space....

The fact of "SUBSCRIBER" is beautiful I would do it 10 years a go,was a nice idea in 2006 or so but I'm sorry now for me has no reason of being like this, if you do not want to see the publicity just use adblock you can download for free, 500MB of photos is part of what for me is the only problem of the site.... if actualize the system of the photo I promise that I make subscription...

I'm finishing up a little project, and then i post some photos, I know' that it is not rocket science, but for mé is not the fact, repeat the system of the photo it is old, complicated and will be lost a lot of photos that would make this great community even more 'fantastic and helpful ... go find old posts, the majority is rendered useless by the disappearance of the photos.

You are English mother tongue so maybe you do not realize, what you call small community is huge and international, almost any other similar communities in another language is a fraction of this, being of Italian mother tongue and I attend or attended varius comunity like this one for my many interests at least 6-8 similar community so I know 'what I say, yet microscopic communities compared to KM but they manage to upgrade and use much less complex systems, i do not even try to put on the same floor KM with FB are one thing completely different, a different world.

I am not here to argue but i like to say my opinion....peace and love!....
 _GOTOTOP