Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Tiger Sighting In Vietnam
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:32 PM UTC
Reading the Osprey book on Vietnamese firebases, I noted that there were actual encounters with tigers (the four-legged kind) by soldiers. Anyone have stories about that?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Reading the Osprey book on Vietnamese firebases, I noted that there were actual encounters with tigers (the four-legged kind) by soldiers. Anyone have stories about that?

My father was over there in 69 and he wrote my mom telling about an alert one night where something hit a trip flare on their perimeter. They lit up the area with just about every thing they had and whatever it was got caught in the wire and killed. When daylight came they went out and found a dead tiger hanging in the wire. Dad posed with it and we had a couple pictures of him and the dead tiger in the family photo album along with the cage they kept monkeys they captured.

whatgluewasthat
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 04:36 PM UTC
One of the CMOH who was shot down there hid in the bushes for a few days because the VC would not go into these thickets for genuine fear of tigers. It might have been Thorsness, I forget.