_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Stug III Guns
Namerifrats
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 75 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:38 AM UTC
Planning to do a couple Stug III TD. Most of the model I see have it equipped with the short artillery gun the early models had for infantry support. I may do one with that. I was wondering how hard it would be to mount a longer anti tank gun on a model made for the short gun? Would it fit or require a lot of modding to get it on there? I want it to look right, but didn't see one that comes with the longer gun. Also looking at after market metal gun barrels. What's the advantage to buying those? Looks, accuracy, etc? Can you really tell much of a difference once the model is assembled and painted using metal barrels/tracks?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 07:55 PM UTC
The longer gun could be mounted on the earlier types. Some were converted later in the war. You would need a replacement mantlet as well as the barrel. Bronco has a StuG D coming out with the 7.5cm L/48 and L/24 in a combo pack. Metal barrels offer the advantage of no seam line to clean up, which can be very convenient as sometimes cleaning up the seam line can leave an oval shaped barrel. The metal barrel looks fine-a little smoother finish than the styrene. Some like metal tracks for the natural sag, but they can be expensive There are a number of other individual link options to get the same effect, which is not as easy to make with the one piece tracks. Painted properly they look great. It all depends on how much you want to spend on the kit you are planning as the extras drive the cost up quickly.
 _GOTOTOP