Entering models in competitions
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 01:15 PM UTC
Hello there

Next week I'll be heading east to the Netherlands for SMC. It'll be the fourth time I've been. A really good show, great atmosphere, location, organisation etc... lots of praise for it can be found throughout the various modelling websites. Thats' not the purpose of this post.

Each year, I get successively closer to actually entering a model into the competition. This year, I just ran out of time (due to my own bad "time management", it must be said).
I still had a certain amount of trepidation (although it's now a moot point), as my enthusiasm for scale models greatly surpasses my ability to construct them.

For me this hobby has always been a very solitary affair. I make models about subjects I'm interested in, to get some idea in 3D about how they looked/worked. Models are an extension of my interest in history, rather than the other way around.

What I was wondering was.... what is the main motivation for folks who enter models into competition?

To win awards?
To share their models with a wider public?
To encourage discussion with fellow modellers (face to face rather than somewhere like here), and thereby improve techniques, knowledge etc?

I'd be interested to know other people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 02:18 PM UTC
I feel great satisfaction, when I win an award. I strive to be the best in everything I do. Plus, it is easier to sell a model if you have proof of your talent.
militairtje
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 02:44 PM UTC
The main reason I enter my models in contests are just for fun. Just to know if I'm getting near the 'top level' of modellers. That's the reason my motto for contests is: 'participating is more important than winning, though winning is fine too '

However, I only enter models where I know of it could be possible to win something. And I only enter models once in everyshow. So no 2 years in a row my same model at the same show.

greetz
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:07 PM UTC
Thanks both for your replies.

Next year I might finally finish something to an appropriate standard.

Cheers

Sean
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 04:04 AM UTC
I don't enter to win awards, although I have won a few along the road. I enter to share my work with others, to see others work, and to enjoy the camaraderie of a single day devoted to the joy of model building. I have a great time at the workbench, and really like the challenges of putting small parts into a completed model, and have turned my hobby into a commission business and then given that up because it takes so much time away from doing my own artistic work-- but I love going to one or two shows a year just to be with like minded folks who appreciate the great art that it is. I especially like to see the unusual in modeling-- not just a static stand alone model, but one in dynamic flight, seascapes or roiling armored conflict- those are where engineering, talent and art really come together. Model shows are the one place you can see all that assembled in one location for a few hours. It's almost like going to the county fair for a day.
VR Russ
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC
I had the same trepidations as you before my first time at the table. Finally I decided it was time to test my metal. I went into it without any expectations at all, other than to be a better modeller for it. My first time around I entered three models in three categories at an AMPS competition. Two got bronse and one got a silver medal. I was pretty humbled and happy, but more importantly I was anxious to see the judges sheets and see what they decided were things I could improve my skills on. I actually look forward more to the judges sheets than the medals, but the medals are definitely justification of the work I performed on a kit ( I got a gold for the first time at last AMPS show). I also highly suggest you try judging .... you were DEFINITELY get something out of it and it will help you advance your modelling skills.....
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,896 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 06:12 AM UTC
Hi;

The reason Why in A contest is as varied as there are version's of the T-72 ! There are those who like the Friendship with other Modeler's and then there are the Cut Throat people who will Cry Foul if they don't Win First place. Since I have been judging contest's in both IPMS & AMPS Ive seen it all. For the Person just starting out in there first show, they should study the Contest requirements or rules in the catagory they are about to enter; Out of the Box is the best start, as the rules are pretty simple. Now the judges themselves can at sometimes alter the judging for better or worse.
IMHO it should be to Better ones own's modeling skills and also for the Friendship with other's and also giving to the Support of the Hobby and the Club's in Question !!!
Promoting our Hobby to the Younger Generation and the Willingness to Help other's in improving there Skill's is the Most Importment Reason !!!!!!!!!
HAPPY MODELING EVERYBODY; MIKE.
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2016 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry it's taken a while to respond, only got back from the show (which I recommend to all) late last night.

Most likely take the plunge next year...

Cheers

Sean
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC
obviously its always great to win to have something to help yourself feel like your work is substantiated with yourself or others, but should be the last thing on your mind.
The first few shows I went to, I wanted to win something to help myself feel good about the work I do since I am really hard on myself about my own quality. However, these days, its more about seeing what is new and to show what I have that is new.
I try to complete at least 1 piece a year to bring to one of the 4 shows I go to a year. Every time I go, there are pretty much the same faces, with a few new ones here and there. so, with those old faces, I am excited to see what they bring each year, and I look forward to showing my stuff to them. They all typically have different styles from each other, so I can pick their brain for new ideas.

also, I am always bad at remembering names, so I come up with names for people based on their unique personality or look. its comical sometimes IE: small hat grandpa, submarine guy, flattop, etc.
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,063 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 08:20 AM UTC
For me winning awards is fine but I actually get more satisfaction from people who seem to enjoy what I have built or ask me questions about my build. Or even just looking at my build and starting a conversation about modeling in general. Yes, in my opinion awards are nice and represent tangible recognition that your skills have reached a certain level. Even without the awards the fact that others enjoy my work actually means more to me.

About entering a competition-just do it. It's a great experience. Good luck.
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:29 PM UTC
Thanks both (and again to all).

I'm suitably inspired I think. Nothing to lose, so next year I'll go for it.

Cheers

Sean
 _GOTOTOP