_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Glue Q's
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:15 PM UTC
What glues do you like and why? Best glues for resin, PE? Inquiring minds want to know...ex. I like the Plastruc Liquid glue I've been using, but it seems to evaporate very fast, any hints, suggestions?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 08:35 PM UTC
For resin I use a super glue,for PE I use Gator Grip,and for general use I like Tamiya Extra Thin.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 09:11 PM UTC
Tamiya Extra Thin is my go-to glue of choice for nearly all styrene work. Cutting about half the bristles off the built-in applicator helps control the amount of glue.

For doing styrene indy link tracks I use regular Tamiya cement because of the slower drying time--gives time to assemble and shape a complete run before hardening.

For PE and resin I use Scotch cyano-acrylate (i.e.: superglue) liquid. I've found the Scotch brand to work better than most others I've tried.

For some applications gel-type CA glue seems to work better than the liquid so I keep some of that on hand as well.

And for clear parts like light lenses and canopies, I use Testor's Clear Part Glue. It dries crystal clear and will not fog or spider-web delicate pieces.

I've not used the Gator Grip, but I have heard good things about it. Will probably give it a shot if I see it somewhere.

Apprentice
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:01 AM UTC
For PE I use Loctite that I get from Bunnings (a Big Box hardware store in Australia). It is CA glue and can be bought in various consistency and sizes. Convenient and way way cheaper than hobby suppliers.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:12 AM UTC
There are so many choices. I liked Micro Weld until I discovered Ambroid liquid cement (never tried Tenex although others swear by it). I use Tamiya ultra thin for some things but 99% is Ambroid.

For super glue I love Bob Smith Industries, Inc. Cyanoacrylates . It has never failed me and I have found it performs better than Zap-A-Gap and some other brands. They even make a type that does not fog clear parts, and at least one of the owners is a serious modeler.

Haven't used Gorrilla CA or epoxy yet. Nor Gator Grip. Not for any reason other than I have just been happy with what I already use.

I use epoxies for some models. It makes a great filler for wing root gaps.

Heck, I even still use Testors' "non toxic" blue tube cement when I need a gooey glue.

Back to BSI CA: several years ago I started building models almost exclusively with CA. But it is difficult to beat the bond between two polystyrene parts melded together with liquid glue.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2016 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For PE I use Loctite that I get from Bunnings (a Big Box hardware store in Australia). It is CA glue and can be bought in various consistency and sizes. Convenient and way way cheaper than hobby suppliers.

Same Same Loctite from Bunnigs ,in Gel and Liquid,for styrene Revel Contacta Professional and Tamiya Extra Thin,and for some job Epoxy
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 06:17 AM UTC
I use Gorilla glue for welding etch to plastic and resin media. For plastic welding, I prefer Model Master in the squeeze bottle with the needle.
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Same Same Loctite from Bunnigs ,in Gel and Liquid,for styrene Revel Contacta Professional and Tamiya Extra Thin,and for some job Epoxy

+1 more for the loctite CA, that stuff is so much better than zap-a-gap, have never had any issues of drying in the bottle like the zap glue.
Revell contacta pro as well, with Testors thin brush on glue. Couldn't find the recommended Tamiya extra thin, but the Testors stuff seems to fit the bill nicely, it seems to be mostly MEK(so caution with the fumes).

Like a lot a lot of others also use epoxy of various curing speeds, depending on final purpose.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

+1 more for the loctite CA, that stuff is so much better than zap-a-gap, have never had any issues of drying in the bottle like the zap glue.
Revell contacta pro as well, with Testors thin brush on glue. Couldn't find the recommended Tamiya extra thin, but the Testors stuff seems to fit the bill nicely, it seems to be mostly MEK(so caution with the fumes).

Like a lot a lot of others also use epoxy of various curing speeds, depending on final purpose.

I buy Revell Contacta Pro,Tamiya Extra Thin (green Cap) and also Humbrol Clear Gloss ( besically Future) at ToyWorld,Epoxy from the Reject Shop o Dollar and sense.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:39 PM UTC
Tamiya glue products are more common here. I use their regular glue for building large assemblies; extra thin for small individual parts and also for track links. I am able to get both types of glues with Limonene in it -- having that lemony scent makes working with it better for me.

For PE, it's either super glue (DIY-store variety or Loctite) or Gator Grip. I like the latter better as it gives me a longer working time, and odorless as well. I've used it clear parts (i.e. windscreens), sometimes on painted surfaces and had no issues.

My challenge with super glue is that it does not keep well -- cap dries solid, nozzle gets clogged, that I would have to throw it away with still a substantial amount in it.

How do you guys store your super glue?

Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 04:48 PM UTC
With the Loctite Control and Control Gel i dont have problem of dry nozzle etc...

This one

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_g_cntrl/overview/Loctite-Super-Glue-Gel-Control.htm
ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the responses and ideas, folks! I never thought about Gorilla Glue. Locktite I have, and like I said my Plastruct seems to evaporate too fast, so maybe the Tamiya Extra Thin will fit the bill...need to check out Gator Grip too...
 _GOTOTOP