_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photographing your work
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:47 PM UTC
I have a problem. Whenever I take a picture of my completed works, It always turns out blurry. I use my "hp photosmart 320" digital camera. Here is the best picture I've had turn out, and it is still very blurry and fuzzy. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do? please help.

-Katyusha-
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 02:49 PM UTC
Don't your cam have a micro mode/flower mode? Try turning this on. Maybe this should work.

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hello, if its still blurry after engaging the macro mode on your cam you may need to pick up a table top tripod(I think you can get one at walmart for less than 5 bucks) they make a world of difference in the clarity of your pics. Also you may try using your timer on your camera in conjunction with the tripod. Hope this helps. Cheers Kevin
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:25 PM UTC
Try to take the pics a little farther back. Don't try to get up too close to the subject. Even with macro you need the proper distance. Experiment a little You will find the proper distance for your camera.
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
Try some of the other suggestions, especially the macro and tripod as those should work. Part of the problem could be what settings the camera is using. If you're in full auto mode, there's a chance the shutter speed could be very slow. If this is the case and slight wobble of the camera will make the photo blurry. Also, the camera could be setting a wide aperture, which reduces the amount of the photo in focus.

Getting as much light as you can on the subject can allow you to shoot at faster speeds, but if you use a tripod and timer, that should work as well.

In this photo it almost looks like the rear, right portion of the track is in focus (right under the barrel) and it could be the rest of the model is too close to focus. The macro mode could also help out..
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:38 PM UTC
Well Katsuya,, if u have tried totry shoot the picture further back and it still blurry, its time for you to go to camera shop, because the main problem is your digital camera doeent focus to the object..the reason why they can focus on the object becuase of the lens, eventhough your lens have the cap, you still have to clean the lens with the lens tissues

cheers
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:55 PM UTC
From what i have experienced with my HP840 photosmart you need to have a very steady camera when you try to take close up pics, so when ysing the close up feature you have to use tripod or have a steady point for your grabbing elbow.Further more like whats said already try to get the pictures from a lil bigger distance that you think you need and they will come nice anyway. The closeup feature need a minimun distance doesnt work
any close u lik e. Try to experiment as much as you can,its for free anyway
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
I have a photosmart camera and i too have had the same problems. And it is my belief that you need to steady the camera better. Since i do not have a tripod atm, i have been using anything to help steady my aim. When shooting in my workshop area, i use a 1 gallon latex paint can as a base for my camera to help steady it. Definitly try something like this first.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
Looking at the picture, it does not look to me like you moved. I'd try moving further back and using hte zoom feature to fil the frame.
Other thoughts, use the highest resolution possible and get further back then enlarge/crop the image in your potoprogram.
If you have autofocus, make sure your subject is dead center. In this shot, you're creating a problem for the auto focus with the barrel being too close to the lens.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 05:17 AM UTC
Another option is to get a 'remote' type of 'trigger', so you wouldn't be shaking the camera as your pushing down on the button.

Butt I'm no photographer either...
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
I dont think I have a macro thing on my camera.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont think I have a macro thing on my camera.

It would be a little flower icon that looks like a tulip. If you don't have that, you may bo out of luck to do closeups, per se, so you'll have to try backing up and cropping your pics your photo program. (If you don't have one, e-mail me through my profile and I can send you a spare disk (Windows 98 and higher.)
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 02:39 PM UTC
I think I will try my father's digital camera. His has alot more buttons, and is much bigger than mine, so I am sure it will have many great features like flower macro and the anti blur featres. My camera is very basic, good for taking pictures of people, but I geuss not models. I did try some of the suggestions, and the results were much better (more clear), but still not very good.

-Katyusha-
 _GOTOTOP