_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Zimmerit application over small details?
Inceptor57
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2016 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hello! First timer on armorama here,

I've been trying to do a Zimmerit application on my Tamiya StuG IV via the putty method with Squadron White Putty and I have trouble using it over the tiny details on the top hull. Mainly that when I use it I find myself covering up some of the details like the hatches and their hinges. While I try scraping it away or reimprinting these hatches via tracing a needle on the marks, it seems inconvenient.

Is there an easier way around this? Or is this simply a matter of how precise I am with the putty?

Thank you!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Edric,
Have you tried masking over the small details? Then you could judiciously trim the zimmerit where you want and carefully lift the mask away. Might be useful to have some liquid mask for this and a silicone tipped pencil for precise application.

Best wishes,

Gaz
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Edric,
I'm not a German armor guy but if I remember correctly the Zimmeritt anti-magnetic mine paste was only applied to vertical and slanted surfaces and not on horizontal ones. This mat alleviate some of the problem areas in your application. I'm sure some of the German armor guys here can give you a lot more details about how and where the Zimmeritt was applied.
Hope this helps.
John
Inceptor57
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Edric,
Have you tried masking over the small details? Then you could judiciously trim the zimmerit where you want and carefully lift the mask away. Might be useful to have some liquid mask for this and a silicone tipped pencil for precise application.

Best wishes,

Gaz

I did try masking tape, it was hard to get the masking tape to the smallest size to work. I did not know about liquid masking, maybe i can try that next time for easier application.

It was my first zimmerit try, I guess I would improve on my next attempt on a Tiger II.
 _GOTOTOP