_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Academy's new Abrams
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 04:47 AM UTC
Went to the LHS today looking for Tamiya's new M-10 for the SWAMPS group build. Unfortunately they were out but will have a bunch in time for the next meeting.
ANYWAY, I'm not one to leave a hobby shop empty handed so I selected Academy's new Abrams M1A2. Boy, am I impressed ! Every thing is still bagged but it feels like a fine non-slip surface where needed. The hull is a 3 piece affair not a tub as you normally get. Also, included is the belly armor. Barrel is NOT a 2piece thing but a keyed 3 piece thing so NO seam issues to deal with ! You have 3 options, TUSK II, TUSK & the V2 to pick from. PE for the turret baskets, masks for the clear parts, Vinyl tracks but I might replace them with AM tracks. Odd instructions though. There are 4 sheets. Each are called manuals and a 4 page color sheet to help with painting & decal options.
Looks like Chris Mrosko, AKA "Chilihead", was one of the contributors.
Anybody else start theirs yet? Opinions?? Tips ???
Have a good weekend all !
Tom
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 05:03 AM UTC
I've been doing a build log here. No real issues with construction. Plastic seems thin and brittle, so be easy with pressure. My kit had a few minor sink marks as well, but I don't know how widespread an issue that is. It goes quickly. I chose TUSK I, but I would gladly do another and try the Sep V2.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 - 06:10 PM UTC
Thanks Russ for directing me to your build log. Yep, sink marks do look like it will be a little PIA to deal with.
Sounds like that the Bronco tracks are the only game in town
And, thanks for the heads up about pressure & plastic too. There is lots of good stuff in your build log !
 _GOTOTOP