_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Size and scale help
SteelCheeseBeard
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:47 PM UTC
So like i have posted in other threads i am trying to create dioramas which i have never done befor, that being said i went to some supply sites and orderd some things like trees people bushes and what not, but there is a problem.
My people are way way to small trees are more like bushes so the question is how do i pick scale of accesories if i have a 1/72 scale armor, what is the size of the solders when it says that a solder is 1:100 scale how do i determine how big it is what is it based off of.

Any help would be great.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 08:55 PM UTC
Firstly, you want to order figures in the same scale as your armored subjects; so 1/72. If they are not in the same scale, they will never look right together.

To determine the size for accessories like trees, you have to understand what 1/72 scale means. It can also be expressed as 1 scale inch equals 72 inches in full size. In other words, every scale inch in size equals 72 full-size inches, or six feet. So a 1 inch tall figure represents a six feet tall person in actuality. If you want a tree that is roughly 12 feet tall, it would measure 2 inches in 1/72 scale.

Likewise, 1/35 scale translates to 1 scale inch equaling 35 inches in reality, roughly 3 feet. A 12 foot tree in 1/35 is approximately 4 inches tall.
SteelCheeseBeard
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:28 AM UTC
So when im looking for items and say im building a 1/35 scale armor then i need to get 1/35 solders and 1/35 scale bushes trees and light post and buildings.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC
That is right.

If you are going to build 1:35 armor then "soldiers" and any other accessories,
must be in the same scale...1:35.

This applies to all other scales...1:72, 1:48 etc.

Cheers,
SteelCheeseBeard
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks buddy i asked it because i ordered some people and got them in the other day in 1:200 scale and as you would know they were to small even to pass as infants. Lol i have never done dioramas untill this build so its a bit of a learning curve to see what works and what doesnt. Thanks again
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 03:48 AM UTC
There is one circumstance in which you could legitimately combine 1/35 and 1/200 items, which is a forced perspective diorama with the larger items at the front and smaller scale ones at the back. Might be a big ambitious for a first project though. Best to stick to constant scale and keep the diorama compact - it's easy to end up with a huge sprawling scene which doesn't really tell a story. Contemporary photos are a good starting point for inspiration and working out how the elements can feasibly interact.
 _GOTOTOP