_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
decals help :(
napadaanlng
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 01:56 PM UTC
Need help with decals whenever I try to move them from the sheet this happens.

I also read that you need to first get rid of the yellowing in the decals? Should I do that first?

PS: this is my first decal and have no idea what to do?

varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 03:35 PM UTC
I am afraid that they are old and damaged. I have heard that exposing them to he sun may remove the yellowish tone (sometimes), and for the breakage there is a product that should fix it:

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=9aca72c93d3d4b51d055e0ba74c1daac&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD

Sometimes it works also a thin coat of varnish over the decal (carefully applied) before wetting it.

All in all, I think it would be better to get new decals from an aftermarket company, or buy this set from someone who has not used it...
napadaanlng
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 20 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 04:45 PM UTC
I have to admit I bought the kit and the owner told me it was 20+ years old.

Anyway is it also a good idea to scan the decals and make my own? I really want to finish this kit T__T
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 05:20 PM UTC
I have also heard that sealing them in a Ziploc bag and putting them in the sun will remove the yellowing, but I have not tried it.

As far as their crumbling, I think giving them a few coats of Microscale Liquid Decal Film or an equivalent product should fix that for the most part.

If all else fails, can go online and look for either an aftermarket decal sheet, a secondhand decal sheet on ebay, or contact the manufacturer to see if you can get a replacement sheet.

varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway is it also a good idea to scan the decals and make my own? I really want to finish this kit T__T

First you should have access to a printer that can print white, and they are quite rare. And even if you have it, I doubt you could get a good quality from a scan and reprint...
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 10:06 AM UTC
I heard a tip that seems to work. Spray a thin layer of dullcoat from a rattle can over them first. Make sure it's very thin or it may dissolve the decals. When the first very thin coat has dried, spray another on. The dullcoat will add strength to the decal film.
 _GOTOTOP