_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
240mm and 203 mm Howitzers and wagons
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hi everyone

I'm scratch building the 240mm and 203 mm Howitzers and wagons.

I have started with the tracked wagons the one for the Howitzers called T16E1 and the two for the gun carriage T17 front and T17E1 back that use Sherman tank components like the boogies, rear idlers and their mount and front sprockets and their housing and the rear trailing wheels from the M4 HST. These wagons where used in the Pacific during WW2 especially in the Philippines due to soft soil conditions.
I'm still looking for detailed pictures of the tracked wagons.

I have also started scratch building the 240mm and 203 mm Howitzers.
I'm still looking for more detailed pictures of the two howitzers and their wheeled wagons.

I'm still having problems with posting pictures. Have a look at my web page to view the pictures,

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/scratch-builder/library/?sort=2&page=1

Thank you very much for any help.

Cheers,

Ralph
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:36 PM UTC
Beautiful work! Wooden barrels? Are they hollowed out at the muzzle, or will they have dust caps in place to hide the lack of hole? Strictly speaking they are the 240mm Howitzer (the shorter, fatter tube) and 8-inch Gun (longer, thinner tube).

I've been drawing them up in CAD for a 1:35 project that has been back-burnered due to other pressures, but I'll see about sending photos for reference. Do you have any measured drawings to work from? I haven't found any plans, so my carriage designs are best-guess by eye...
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Thank you for the compliment.

I could not find any styrene plastic tube in the diameters that I needed so I made them from wood dowels and turned them on my mini lathe and the 203mm is in two pieces.

Yes the two barrels are drilled out to 203mm and 240mm in 1/35 scale about 20mm into the muzzle end. I'm still trying to decide weather to do the two breaches it would be a lot of work.

The 203mm is actually bigger in diameter than the 240mm barrel.

Please send me any pictures that you can share.

I very much would like to see your Cad. drawing if all possible.

Check your PM.

Cheers,

Ralph
 _GOTOTOP