_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Yellowed decals
testpro
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:28 AM UTC
I was at the model club last month and one member mentioned he had some old decals and they were really yellow from old age. he stated he put the decal sheet in a zip lock bag and placed the bag in a north eastern facing window in his house so the sun would shine on the decal sheet. after a 4-5 week time frame he states the decals are no longer yellow. So I just started a old Tamiya kit and the decals were kinda yellow from age. so I did what he did except I put the baggie with decal sheet on the dashboard of my car and half way through the next day the decal sheet is as clear as the day it was printed. this process happens fast, faster than I thought. just sharing. thanks.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 04:23 PM UTC
That's really interesting, Ronald. Thanks for sharing that. I would have expected the opposite, but here's yet another opportunity to learn something new.

Generally I don't worry too much about yellowed decals since I usually overspray them to help blend them with the rest of the paint scheme, but I can think of a few instances where I wouldn't want to do that. This is probably money for aircraft modelers.

ClaytonFromEllijay
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:47 PM UTC
Same success story here, I bought a Peerless Dodge Ambulance circa 1980 and the decals were as yellow as you know what. A week in my Window (in a storage bag) and they are crystal clear, applied great.
SgtSnake
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 41 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:04 AM UTC
I haven't thought about this in years! Yep works as advertised-I remember seeing this tip in an early '80s issue of Fine Scale Modeler, and I spread this tip around to everyone who came into the model shop I worked in. That started me using a chalkboard and bulletin board to post tips that came in. Great post, by the way.
 _GOTOTOP