_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Golden age of model building?
madmachinist452
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 09:19 PM UTC
So after a 7 year hiatus building a career and family I have returned to the hobby. I find myself visiting old websites to get the news on new kits and to my extraordinary surprise I find we are truly in a Golden age of model building. I know some believe that that this was the mid to late twentieth century, but in just 10 short years the model industry has sparked a whole new generation of builders and its truly amazing to see. I find myself dumbfounded seeing kits produced in plastic that I thought would only be in resign (m1070 comes to mind). I'm elated that vehicles I served with and on (MRAPS) are now produced in plastic. It is truly and awesome time to be in this hobby.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 07:17 AM UTC
It is a good time for kits and it seems every month there is a new manufacturer. The only downside is the loss of local hobby stores. No more running down the street to hang out and talk about the selection. It is a good thing we have Kitmaker to fill that void.
Ramanathan
Visit this Community
Pest, Hungary
entire network: 133 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So after a 7 year hiatus building a career and family I have returned to the hobby. I find myself visiting old websites to get the news on new kits and to my extraordinary surprise I find we are truly in a Golden age of model building. I know some believe that that this was the mid to late twentieth century, but in just 10 short years the model industry has sparked a whole new generation of builders and its truly amazing to see. I find myself dumbfounded seeing kits produced in plastic that I thought would only be in resign (m1070 comes to mind). I'm elated that vehicles I served with and on (MRAPS) are now produced in plastic. It is truly and awesome time to be in this hobby.

For sure the golden age has started. And what surprised me the most: it happened in an era of "global economic crisis" - seems that our hobby is crisisproof...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 - 03:43 PM UTC
You are 100% correct,we are just rolling in choices,the choices abound in every genre.When one company announces a release,at least two others follow that up with the same thing,and we're talking quality,interiors,workable tracks,atndnd so on.I guess the only downside is that all of this quality does cost money,so it's not exactly a cheap hobby,so we make our choices.
 _GOTOTOP