_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Question on Name Plates
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Guys and Gals,
Quick question concerning the name plates you folks attach to your diorama or vehicles bases. Do you go to a trophy shop or jeweler to have the name plates professionally etched/printed or is there a product you can use at home? I'm not having much luck on the net except finding etching machines that are way out of my price range. All I have at home is a standard inkjet printer.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
John
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 07:17 AM UTC
John,
I seldom (but I won't say never) use etched plates for my model nameplates. When I do, I use a local engraving shop in the mall (although since I'm retired military, I sometimes use the On-base craft shop). If you have a copy of PowerPoint on your computer, or can obtain a copy, that's one method for making data and name plates with a computer, and the one I use most often. I usually use heavy stock paper, which you can find in various shades of white, and make my PP plates with white letters on a black background (of course the printer doesn't print white). You can add designs, borders, or photos. If you need to clear-coat the plate, use laminating plastic from Office Depot or any good stationary store. Double-backed Scotch tape is excellent for mounting.
VR, Russ
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 08:56 AM UTC
Russ,
Thanks for your suggestions. They've given me some food for thought. Yesterday an idea hit me about using miniature picture frames and printing out titles, descriptions, etc. Walmart carries frames as small as 2.5 x 3.5 inches (roughly 6 x 9 cm) for $1.50. I'm going to try one with a ship kit I'm building in parallel with a M29c Weasel I'm working on for the Best of Both Worlds campaign.
Thanks again
John
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:54 AM UTC
John,
Yes, I've been following your build of the Weasel (more please!). I've been looking for one of those old 1/32 Monogram Weasel's now for several years now--- Monogram has recently re-released the half track, 2 1/2 ton, Patton Tank and even the Jeep and 37mm gun, but not the Weasel. Wish they would. I had not seen the Wal-Mart frames, but they sound good. Power Point really works well for printing your one tags though-- if you have a computer and can access Power Point I really recommend it-- but you can use any program, such as Word, to print labels and data plates.
VR Russ
 _GOTOTOP