_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Correct mix for Hataka acrylic paints?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi all,
I bought some Hataka early war Polish colors and tried to airbrush them using water as a thinner. Not good. Can anyone tell me what the correct thinner and mixture is for these paints. I would appreciate any help you guys can give me. Happy Fathers Day to you all.

Jeff
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 06:20 AM UTC
I just used right out of the bottle. 11psi on the AB. No problems.

Cheers

Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
Thanks Robbie.....I tried that but it won't spray. I tried thinning it with water and that didn't work. I went to YouTube and found a review that said that Hataka produces their own thinner and the mixture should be 50-50 at 20psi. I'm going to try to acquire the thinner and try that. Thanks for your reply. My 7TP will just have to wait.

Jeff
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 11:00 PM UTC
Have you tried testing it using Tamiya thinner or Vallejo thinner?

Cheers
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 03:17 AM UTC
Good idea. I actually have both. I think I will try them first before I spring for the Hataka thinner. Thanks!

Jeff
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
I also have seen posted here the use of isopropyl alcohol to thin acrylics. I have not had much success with alcohol as a thinner. Too hot and dry here. As I type this I look out and it is 116F (46.6C for the rest of the world) outside with 6% humidity. That thinner would be evaporating as I was mixing it

Cheers

Bodeen
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have seen posted here the use of isopropyl alcohol to thin acrylics. I have not had much success with alcohol as a thinner. Too hot and dry here. As I type this I look out and it is 116F (46.6C for the rest of the world) outside with 6% humidity. That thinner would be evaporating as I was mixing it

Cheers

I've used alcohol with Tamiya paints with no problems. These Hataka paints dry too fast so alcohol is not an option. I'm not too fond of Hataka paints, I must say. I may be doing something terribly wrong or I got a very bad batch.

Anyway...we here in Western Pennsylvania don't have to worry about not having humidity. We get a lot of moisture from Lake Erie and, when we have winds from the south, the Gulf of Mexico. I hate humidity and this summer is humid.

I hope everyone is having a great summer...happy modeling.

Jeff
Chapman
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 203 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hey Jeff,

Did you ever find a good working solution for airbrushing these paints? I too have had some issues with their green from the early war French armor set. I tried using the Hataka thinner and it does work well, but the "vert fonce" green got worse the more I used it, eventually just becoming pigment paste in the bottle. The other colors in the set were much better though I only found water or the Hataka thinner to be useful in trying to airbrush them. :-(

_GOTOTOP