_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Low tack clear tape
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:41 AM UTC
Does anyone have a recommendation for a low tack clear tape? Apparently it is not something that common.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
There is a product called foto frisket that is clear, has a peel-off backing, and is less tacky than clear tape. However, I Wouldn't trust it over decals. It's not low-tack enough for that.

Gaz
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 02:52 AM UTC
Thanks Gaz. I was not going to put it over decals. What I wanted to do was place it over a painted model and cut the tape off of certain recessed panels so I could paint them a different shade. I would think someone would make a product like this but that may not be the case.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 11:17 AM UTC
A trick for any tape is using it several times on a clean surface until it's less sticky.

Also 3M removable tape is weaker than others...
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 07:53 PM UTC
If all you are doing is masking panel lines I'm not sure why it needs to be clear tape specifically. Masking tape should work just as well, I would think, so long as you remember to emboss the edges thoroughly.

I like to stick pieces of tape to my T-shirt first, then apply them. Significantly reduces the tack. Don't try it with a new shirt, though; too much lint on the edges.

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Who said an old dog can't learn new tricks?-- a trick I learned last year from my daughter who does scrap booking is to buy scrap booking tape from Hobby Lobby, it comes in design printed rolls (we'd say funky in the old days with paisley, geometric, and floral designs) it's low tack, about the same texture as Tamiya yellow tape but much cheaper. In fact I think it's the same thing, just with the designs. I think they call it Fubuki tape or something like that. There is one roll in particular I like-- its translucent (not quite transparent) with black lengthwise stripes about 1mm apart. The stripes are great for using as a guide either for marking or cutting, and it's translucent enough that you can position it by seeing through the tape. This stuff comes in a roll about 3/4 inch wide, three rolls to a package, or you can get it wider in single rolls. I bought a pack of three rolls for $2.50. I think Michael's carries it too.
VR, Russ
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC
What I wanted to do was to put one piece of tape over several small removable panels and carefully cut along the panel lines, remove the tape and paint the panels a darker shade. I thought if it was clear it would be easier to do. For example this SU-15;

GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC
Tamiya makes a flexible tape for curves. It's brilliant! And it's a lot safer fro the surface of your model then trusting you won't slice too deeply.

Gaz
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 3,670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 527 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What I wanted to do was to put one piece of tape over several small removable panels and carefully cut along the panel lines, remove the tape and paint the panels a darker shade. I thought if it was clear it would be easier to do.

Then the "Fubuki" tape I mentioned is what you want, as it's translucent enough that you could see the panel lines-- however, have you thought of the opposite-- paint your panels, then mask them off with masking fluid, then paint your main color over that?
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP