_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Silly question
redsoldat
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 03:18 PM UTC
I was selling off models at a militaria show, that have been sitting around forever, and a person wanted to buy a M60 I had, so he opens it up, and inside was the receipt for when I bought it at Camp Casey, RoK in 1976. Still had some paint bottles and glue and brushes. Looks like I started it with painting the inside (Lt grey!?)and didn't do any assembly. Now I am torn on what to do with it. It really represents the end of my modeling days (Now I am trying to get back in as I am beginning to collect kits)and a minor time capsule. I know why I bought it, they didn't have any M125s which I was driving, and the 1/72 armor's motor pool was across from our company's street. So I saw those M60s everyday.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 04:57 PM UTC
I got rid of some kits that i will never live long enough to get to and it was hard to let them go. One was the Airfix 1/24th scale Stuka that there is no way I would have got to, but it was so hard to take the step to sell it.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:37 PM UTC
rsimon,

Not a silly question. I feel your pain. 9 years ago I sold off - more like gave away - my car's trunk full of models, most of which I really wanted only a year or two before. I had to move and just diudn't have the room. Now I have boxes of models I really want to build but like Darren said, I'll never live that long. So when I have a chance, I'll start culling the herd. And many will be as hard to say goodbye to as Darren's big Stuka.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 07:42 PM UTC
It's true (or at least in my case), a while back I realized that I had way too many kits in my stash and would never build them much less put them into a diorama. So, I put them up for sale here on Armorama. Every time I had a buyer I'd open up the box to make sure everything was there. It also triggered the memories of when I bought it and what I was going to do with it. It felt like I was selling off a family member (almost) ! And when I'd get a low ball offer it would really Pi$$ me off . Like an insult to a family member !
I'd keep it & build it but that's my $.02 worth.
redsoldat
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC
Ha, ha
I see some get it. I searched for the TAM M60, I guess when TAM made that mold it wasn't a very happy day at the cutting and design shops (fit problems, detail problems).
1/24 scale Stuka, that thing would take up a table! Be like that 1/48 scale peacemaker B36.
I was giving those models away like $5 bucks, and people still were wanting to pay less, and then they bring their buddies so I figured they were just planning to resell them. I don't know maybe I am a modeler, I went to one site which was selling old models, and I was scratching my head thinking "Who wanna pay that much for an Aurora Zero, those things suck...." But to each his own I guess. The M60 has problems but I guess the joy is in the build..."It fought me every step, but I finished it...."
 _GOTOTOP