_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Stuck in the 80's guy
Bonesy1116
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:06 AM UTC
I've been lurking on this site for over a year now and wanted to ask a few questions.

From the title, I'm one of those guys who was a casual out of the box model builder in the 80's. My last completed model was probably in 1985. Things seem so different now, so here goes:

1) I guess the model cement is different? No more airplane glue?

2) There seems to be so many more companies that make models now. That's a good thing I'm sure.

3) Also, I am noticing so much more in the way of after market items. Was there also after market products in the 80's? If so, I never ordered any. Just curious.

4) When did photo etched parts start entering the kits? I don't ever recall seeing those.

5) Now the price question. If I recall correctly, in the 80's a good Tamiya kit was in the low $30's. Maybe I'm wrong though. Kits seem very expensive now, but if adjust for inflation, maybe the prices are similar afterall.

Thanks for reading and sharing any input. Love this site.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:19 AM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby,I'll take a shot at acouple of your questions.

1.I use a liquid glue like Tamiya Extra Thin,and a CA type glue,many use others or variations.

2.Yes,golden age of modeling,so many choices now,but I'm sure you noticed higher prices.Google a kit your interested in for reviews so you can have an idea what your getting.

3. There were some,I remember stowage,seatbelts,cockpit placards in the 80's

4.Yes there was PE in the 80's cockpit stuff and ship railings to name a couple

5.Yes kits have gone up,but bargains can be had,some still enjoy older Tamiya,Revell,and Monogram which can be enjoyable.Airfix comes to mind.But many of your newer kits are state of the art as far as molding,details,and even some extras.As I said,look for reviews of kits to see what their about

Have fun,I'm sure you'll get many more replies.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2016 - 07:19 AM UTC
Welcome and a few answers...

1) Tube glue is still around, but most use liquid glue since it is easier to control and doesn't make as big of a mess.

2) Yup, more competition is a good thing. Some of the newer Chinese companies are really good.

3) There was AM in the '80s. Verlinden was the big company at the time. There were a few other "garage" AM companies as well.

4) The same as #3 for PE w/Eduard as the main company offering it. It really started becoming more popular in the late '90s to early '00s.

5) The prices, when adjusted for inflation are still about the same. $30 in '85 is equal to $67 in 2016 dollars. You can see the effects of inflation with this website: http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=30&year=1985

So welcome back to the hobby. Jump right in and have fun.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 09:18 AM UTC
Ah yes...the '80s...seems like only 35 years ago or so. I started out in the mid '70s and there were very few aftermarket parts available. There were more in the '80s but you still had to rely on your spare parts box and scratch building.

I use Testors liquid glue with the needle-like applicator. Soooo much better than the old tube glue. But now with photo-etch and even resin included in some kits CA, (Super Glue), is a necessity on the work bench.

There are so many more companies manufacturing kits and so many different subjects being offered. I remember in the '80s waiting for Tamiya, Nichimo, Esci or Italeri to release a couple of kits a year. Now you can see new kits being released every week. New manufacturers are popping up all the time....and the quality is excellent.

One of the coolest things to happen since the fall of the Iron Curtain is the influx of all those Eastern European manufacturers and kits. I buy a lot of my Eastern kits from Jadar Hobby in Poland. I can get Resin kits way cheaper (even with shipping) than I can here in the States.

You really have to shop around to find good prices. The "brick and mortar" hobby shops are almost a thing of the past. Their prices are usually higher than an online shop and they don't usually have the inventory of an online shop. Online shops like Squadron, Sprue Brothers, Dragon USA and Roll Models have sales all the time. I also buy a lot of kits from Asia. Hobbylink Japan and Lucky Model are two of my favorites. They offer great service and their prices can't be beat.

We really are living in the Golden Age of modeling. It's a shame I'm getting so old!!! I remember when I thought Peerless/Max and Italeri kits were cutting edge. Now those kits look like toys compared to the offerings of today....but they were still fun to build....and isn't that what it's all about?

Happy Modelling and good luck finding that next kit you ABSOLUTELY have to have. I just ordered the Amusing Hobby (how's that for a company name) Neubaufahrzeug online and on sale.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP