_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Do build logs ever discourage you
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 04:31 PM UTC
Do build logs ever discourage rather than encourage you.

On several occasions I have found myself looking at kits that I have long fancied but deterred by the price - talking about kits in the range $120 to $150.

Every now and then I will decide to treat myself - two recent examples are the Revell 1:72 Snowberry and the Airfix 1:24 Typhoon - yes I know they are they are not armour!

So once over the price I decide to check out the reviews to make 100% sure they are worthy.

I find some build logs and am blown away in two ways. First I'm in awe at the modelling skills that are well beyond me and second the insistence on the need for a further $150 of after market goodies.

Rather than being encouraged, I'm left in shock and awe with a feeling that my skills are not worthy - so I put my credit card away for another day.

Cheers,

Nigel
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
I've had that happen with some kits. I would love to build the M-ATV or Cougar MRAP 4x4, but all the build logs talk about what a hassle they are with kit errors and fit issues. Most of the build logs I have seen never even finished. I have my own fair share of unfinished builds because of too many issues (mine or the kit, or a combination of both) and I just don't want to deal with the aggravation.

On the flip side, when I build something challenging, and finish it, there is a lot of satisfaction in what I have done. It makes me feel like I need to give these kits a try.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:30 PM UTC
Not discouraged,I know my modeling limitations,but I'm able to enjoy the bloggers skill,and I'm able to possibly avoid some pitfalls and problems that I wasn't aware of.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:48 PM UTC
Pretty much what Anthony said. Before I buy I will check here on Armorama to see if anybody is building the kit I want. If so, I look at the builder's comments about how his build is going. Things like poor fits, excessive knock out marks to fill & sand, instruction errors, ect.
Use build logs as a tool !
A good weekend all !
Tom
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
Encouraged to read

Saves me $$$ if the build will be challenging/exceeds my skill set or there is major accuracy issues that would override the cost of a kit ie is it worth the cost to buy that kit with all those inaccuracies. Can we say Eduard's Bf-109 Royal Class kit (and a few Dragon kits)... Read before you buy. Go Go Gadget* Kitmaker

Cheers

*play on a phrase used in the old cartoon series 'Inspector Gadget' - Google it

SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 11:37 PM UTC
sometimes when i see other peoples work i feel that building straight from the box doesn't make me feel my build is special, especially when people use photo etched and resin conversions. however, i don't really enjoy putting this much time, effort, painstaking and stressful work in my models. if anything, i enjoy building straight from the box more than using aftermarket and scratch build stuff. but i still can't really stop myself from going the extra miles and putting this kind of detail and painstaking work.

if anything, build logs encourage me to use aftermarkets, but the process of using them discourages me.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:49 AM UTC
Nigel, I have to say I find build logs extremely useful, especially if I'm tempted to drop big bucks on a kit! I'm happy building to my own comfort level (despite being a long-term AMS sufferer) so the "other guy" using a ton of AM doesn't put me off any more. But if he points out the kit can't be built OOB because nothing fits, or a major component isn't included, then I'm glad to read it before I make a costly mistake.

One thing I do find is that I go over the top on subjects I really like, but happily just stick the kit parts together when it's a subject I'm not too attached to. These days I don't build much German WWII, so I'm ok with doing a straight OOB build that helps me "clear the cobwebs" before my next hyper-detail effort.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 03:01 AM UTC
Nigel,
I understand what you're talking about. I don't have steady hands or good eyes anymore. When I look at the fantastic figures in a diorama, I ask myself: "Why bother? Mine will never look that good, and I don't want to fork out for pigments when I can't steady my hands enough to make the eyes even close to decent." And, not to blame it all on age, I have to admit that painting has never been one of my better talents.

But this is my hobby. I love it. I do blogs even though I know my talents are less impressive than others. It's not a contest. I will keep trying to make decent, better figures even if they have eyes like Marty Feldman.

Gaz
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 05:05 AM UTC
I go for build logs primarily to know how a kit builds -- fit issues, best sequence, and other things to watch out for. If the builder puts in a ton of AM then it's education for me on how the kit may be improved, but I don't go out and do the same. Like a couple of posts above, it is not a contest for me. And if ever it is such, it is just with myself in getting a kit built, painted, displayed. I'd rather try building one, learn, and improve than sit in a corner, envious of what others did.

rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 02:58 AM UTC
Nigel - I enjoy the build logs and I think you should take from them what you will - they maybe informative and warn you of certain pitfalls , they may praise things that are praiseworthy to the builder but not necessarily to you and vice versa . While I mainly do 1/48 aircraft last year I built the 1/35 Matador by AFV Club. IMHO an absolutely wonderful kit with amazing detail ,engineering and no fit issues whatsoever. With a built up chassis and many separate components it had many chances to go wrong but it didn't . After completing it I read some very discouraging things on some blogs about it that would have put me off had I read them before building it and I would have missed a very enjoyable build. If you want to build a kit and can afford it than do it . Don't be discouraged by others skills- be encouraged by them . Go at it , make mistakes , fix them if you can and learn from them. A glue smeared inaccurate mess beats the hell out of the kit that sits unpurchased and unbuilt because someone else did it better or said it was unworthy. It's a hobby - enjoy it ! Cheers ! Richard
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:02 AM UTC
let me add that i enjoy looking at other peoples build logs, especially when they use impressive and unique detailing.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 04:43 AM UTC
Nigel,

I used to read blogs and think that's a lot of work or that's a lot of aftermarket. Nowadays, I am undeterred.

There are a few models that I personally want to be as exact as possible and i will buy AM stuff for. But nowadays, if there is a model that interests me, I am buying and building it to "good enough" standards, e.g., I'm interested in the subject, I want the model, and if it looks like the subject, I am happy. Specifically, the Dragon M103 - I've always wanted one in 1/35. Now, those on this site who built it, I am absolutely in awe of their work and riveted by their critiques of flaws, and have the utmost respect and appreciation for the work they put into the models. But when I build my M103, I plan to build it OOB. Same for the Saladin and Tamiya Somua.

I am only discouraged that with the technology of today, that some kit makers make mistakes and simplifications that they do, considering what they are charging for the kit. But I am building my models for myself. If I want a, say, accurate M103A1, I'll ask LeoCmdr or another expert if he'll suffer the trauma of building one for me.

To sum it up, I used to get discouraged, but not anymore.

Remember, build for you, not for others.
Removed by original poster on 05/13/19 - 22:49:58 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP