_GOTOBOTTOM
Buy, Sell or Trade: Wanted: General
Post your general item needs here.
L/F large scale Dahlgren cannon civil war era
ssculptor
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 11:02 PM UTC
I am looking for large scale (1/6, 1/9, 1/10,1/12, 1/16, 1/18 etc.) models of the civil war Dahlgren cannon. Can be in any material, any condition.
I need the barrel, mount is optional.
These were used in the monitors of the navy during the civil war 15 inch bore, 11 inch bore, 9 inch bore types. Also used as siege guns.
I'd like them bigger than the Verlinden models.
Thanks,
Stephen
backswampcub
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:38 AM UTC
Scroll to the bottom of this page. Carriage is wrong but he will sell barrel alone.

http://www.blackpowder-cannons.com/
ssculptor
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 10:34 AM UTC
Thank you. That is what I am looking for but the price, although fair, is a bit much for my budget. I'll probably have to set up my lathe and make one myself. Mine would be non-firing so I can turn it out of any material.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 554 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,
WRM Graphics list an 11" and a 9" Dahlgren cannon in 120mm scale. They look pretty nice from the pictures on their web page www.wrmgraphics.com. They also list some 120mm ACW figures as well. I've never dealt with them but just thought I would pass this along.
Thanks
John
ssculptor
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 06:17 PM UTC
Thanks, they are just what I am looking for
Stephen
backswampcub
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:24 PM UTC

Well till you have owned a functional one you don't know what you are missing. I have a 30"L 1.75" bore naval cannon barrel. I have built a carriage out of 2" thick white oak and fabricated most of the fittings for the carriage. I just need to finish the trunnion caps.
backswampcub
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC

Do a google search for GBO Black powder cannons. It is a discussion board for people who shoot real cannons and make there own barrels. If you post someone will probably have a set of scale drawings of a Dahlgren they can post or email you. I have gotten several nice dimensional drawings from that site in the past.
ssculptor
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thank you,
I'll try them.
Back 45 years ago I was in a cannon collecting group. We were spread all over the place. The guy who published our magazine had a British 4.5 inch howitzer that was upgraded to WW2 standards and used in the USA for training in WW2. It had rubber tires so on the 4th of July he and some friends would tow it to the beach and shoot a bunch of food cans filled with conrete) off into the ocean. He was a lawyer living in Virginia.
Life was much easier back then for gun lovers. A Lahti 20 mm anti tank gun was considered a large semi automatic rifle. No registration or anythign. All the ammo one wanted.
Ah, the good old days.
Stephen
 _GOTOTOP