_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Checkerboard masking on engine cowls
Tex50613
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 09:53 PM UTC
OK I'm having a issues trying to mask off checkerboard patterns on the engine cowls of one of the 1:64 b-17's I'm building. Any tips on how to achieve the checkering without going mad?
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
This is a partial solution, still alot of careful planning and cutting required...
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=CHECK

Tex50613
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the link but I think I want paint not decals but we'll see how it turns out.
willc453
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:04 AM UTC
Just joined a month ago and still going thru various posts. As to painting a cowling, been there, done that with Monograms 1/48th T-6. Wanted yellow/black squares and figured how many squares length/width I'd need, then started cutting tape to the width I needed. Painted the cowling yellow, then started laying strips of tape next to each other horizontally, then removed every other piece of tape. More cutting of tape and laying them vertically again side by side, then removing every other piece. Once that was done, painted the cowling back.

Did the same with their F-84 for a blue/white checkboard
tail & stabilizers. But that took more work/effort to make sure the tape lined up on the top/bottom of the stabilizers. [img]http://put.url.here/image.file
 _GOTOTOP