_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What glue do you use for Photo Etch
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC
What glue(s) do you use/recommend for 1:35 photo etch.

Read that thin CAs cure too fast so don't give you time to position and are also prone to sticking the photo etch to the tweezers.

Is that correct and is so do you go with medium or thick CA or use other glues?

Cheers,

Nigel
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
Nigel that is a harder question to answer than it may seem as the person asking. CA is available in different thicknesses and the thinner the CA is the quicker it cures as a general rule. Depending on the size of the part and how exactly it is being attached to the model I have seen PVA glue used and even varnish. for strong joints CA and Epoxy glues are best. When it comes to joining PE to PE some will swear by soldering the parts together, I have tried and usually just burn myself.

So as you can see it is not an easy question, but I hope this has provided some thoughts for you.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
Understand what you are saying.

I guess I'm not bothered too much with the bigger or chunkier parts, I can happily work out how to assemble and afix them.

It's the finer smaller parts that are difficult to hold and locate.. Assuming the part hasn't pinged off into a parallel universe when I cut it, I am left with a part that is more inclined to stick to the tweezers than the model and is near impossible to get in the correct position first time.

Cheers,

Nigel
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:30 AM UTC
I have heard that gel type CA glue works best for PE parts, but I am not sure which specific brand offers this type of glue either. Could anyone else give some advises please?
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 07:29 AM UTC
I use Gator Glue for PE parts big or small. Allows time to position the part, non-toxic as well. Good adhesive even for painted parts as well. Cheers
 _GOTOTOP