_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Looking for a beginners photoetch bender.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I've been hesitant to use photoetch in the past, but I've recently decided to learn how to do it and dove into the deep end and bought three Trumpeter kits that have a few to a lot of PE parts.

So I've bought my diamond file and I'm looking for a decent, entry level bending tool. Trumpeter do two, Master Tools Photo Etch Parts Bender small and large. I'll probably get the small one. Has anyone used one and can give me an impression of them? Or recommend something else?

I assume these tools allow you to fold complex shapes. Can anyone point me to a demo video showing how you do that?

Thanks guys.

Edit: Actually there are three Trumpeter ones, small, medium and large. What's the difference? Why would you need a large one over a small one?

And do I need bending pliers as well?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hi Phil,
For most of my PE works, which is limited to the sets coming with kits (that is, I am not an extensive user), a straight flat nose pliers is enough. In fact, it is easier and faster.

However I have also a RP Toolz small bender that helps for some parts, and specially if I want to bend a leftover to scratchbuild a part.

A bigger tool is useful for... bigger parts
If you have to shape a long mudguard, you need a tool as long as the part. If you do not plan to use such long parts then I see no advantage in getting the larger ones. They have a few more grips for different sizes, but I do not think they are indispensable. Again, at least for what I do.

If you want to use a full set of Voyager, Griffon or ET Model then things may be different
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:47 PM UTC
Hi Phil,

I would get the middle size. I find it the most usefull one.

You will need the big one if you are going to bend big photoetchs but you could use two metallic rulers to do so.

Something that is also very usefull are Tamiya's bending pliers, specially the mini one (74084). Give them a look and maybe you will have enough with them.

I would recommend that if you are going to use trumpeter tool to put a photoetch of the same size inside the tool besides the photoetch you are going to bend in one of the "fingers". In that way you won't bend the tool since everything will be at the same level.

Best regards,
Angel
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:52 PM UTC
Concur with Carlos: for the majority of jobs I find a couple of sets of decent flat jaw pliers work just fine. I would suggest working with those until you get a feel for what you can't do with them, and then that will help you decide which is the right tool for you.

slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:43 PM UTC
Personally I find 2 single edge razor blades best. Place one blade on the fold and hold it down on a flat surface, while using the other blade to flip up the fold.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:42 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Here's the problem I had simply using a ruler and a blade to make a simple box. I bend the first two sides no worries, but then how do I bend the other two sides since the first two are now in the way? That's what I assumed the "fingers" on the bending tool were for. But I still wouldn't know what to do if none of the fingers matched the size of the box.

In the end I cut some plasticard so it fit inside the box to fold up the second and third sides. It was a real hassle and took ages.

I'll go for the medium Trumpeter tool and get some pliers as well.

Thanks again.
Anmoga
Visit this Community
Spain / España
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hi Phil,

Maybe it is worth that you have first a look at Tamiya's bending pliers, specially the mini one (74084). Probably you will have enough with them to start working with photoetch.

When I started I bought the equivalent to trumpeter's medium tool and Tamiya's bending pliers mini and I find myself using many times simply the pliers.

Hope it helps you,
Angel
 _GOTOTOP