_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya's Abrams TUSK vs all the new releases
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016 - 10:11 PM UTC
Howdy, I have Tamiya's TUSK Abrams and was wondering how it compares to all the new releases. Accuracy is a concern but detail & fit ranks a little bit higher in my world.
OR, could I cannibalize the TUSK parts and add to my Dragon SEP V2 Abrams without much difficulty and be correct ?
OR, get a new Ryefield, Meng or the upcoming Academy release and sell/trade the Tamiya kit?
Thanks in advance for all of your help !
Tom
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 04:34 PM UTC
i don't think there is much inaccuracies with Tamiya's Abrams. the main inaccuracy with it is that is lacks an anti slip surface, but you could easily an it to the surface. i used old, thickened paint for my anti slip surface.

you could cannibalize the tusk Armour and put it on the dragon v2 Abrams, but it won't fit properly unless you do a some corrections to the sides of the hull where you put the side skirts and the turret. the tusk Armour on the turret causes problems for the smoke dispensers and the smoke dispenser storage boxes both sides. they will need some adjustments in order for the tusk Armour to fit.

Personally, i think you should just build the tusk Armour on the Tamiya kit.

Also the rear engine grills lacks much detail since you can see the difference if you compare it the the dragon v2 Abrams and the recent ones.

hope this was helpful for you.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 04:56 PM UTC
Thank you Hyder ! It sounds like I should go the easy route and build everything as it is, no cross kitting.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP