_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What type of pastels for weathering tank
Frank21746
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 11:59 PM UTC
I am getting back into the hobby of making models and have a question about pastels. I have seen several videos on using pastels to weather a vehicle and want to try it.

I intend to prime my kit, then paint it with tamiya acrylic, then use testers dullcote . Then use a wash with flat black acrylic. After the wash I want to use pastels for the weathering.

Is tamiya weathering master better then using chalk pastels?

If I use the chalk pastels should I use the oil based pastels or non-oil based chalks?

The questions may be dumb but I am new to the art of weathering? Thanks for any help. Frank
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:20 AM UTC
I use chalk pastels, artist quality from the local art store. I grind them into a fine powder and mix my own color blends. They go on fine. Oil pastels won't grind well and don't apply well. I will also use clay and other soil from the garden. I have not used aftermarket brand as I have never seen a need. There will be others who have differing opinions.

For your finishing sequence, doing an acrylic wash over an acrylic flat base may not blend very well. You can get some basic oil paints at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or similar store, and apply a wash with those. I use a mild thinner. Acrylic on acrylic will sometimes lift the first coat.

As for your question, when you are trying to learn there are no dumb questions, and this is a good site for asking anything as there are many who will help out, so Welcome Aboard!
Frank21746
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 06:42 AM UTC
Thanks I will give it try. I have had my model and everything I need. the last model I made was a tiger, with interior, turned out fine but like I said no weathering. It looked like it came off assembly line.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 02:03 PM UTC
Hi,
Pastels were replaced by pigments some time ago, they are finer and work better.

As for weathering, not sure if you are aware that you are missing several steps.. just a black wash and pastels will not be enough.

There are plenty of videos, tutorials and articles that may guide you if you need it.
Frank21746
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 02:40 PM UTC
Thanks I will continue to look at more videos. One, whose results looked good had the following steps; primer, paint, decal, dull Côte, dark wash, light wash using lighter main color, then pastels. The results looked quite impressive. But I will continue to watch different videos to learn. Thanks
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 - 04:56 PM UTC
I have tried using chalk pastels, bought from a crafts store. I grind them into a fine powder and apply. However, the clear coat causes them to disappear. I have tried using pigment fixer, rubbing alcohol and water. None of these keeps the pastels from disappearing under any type of sealant.
 _GOTOTOP