_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
40mm bofors
johntoddmarshall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2016 - 09:54 PM UTC
I'm going to tackle a project that I've been wanting to do for years. I want to scratch build a naval 40mm bofors and need some help with some questions I have. Anyone know where I can get a good reference for a starters or plans? is the land towed versions the same basic gun? I would like to do something in quarter scale so that I can do some good detailing. Any help would be appreciated.
John
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 04:40 AM UTC
Which version? There were quite a few types depending on country and number of barrels. I have photos and dims for some (and some unfinished drawings of some components) and John Lambert has drawn others to a high standard. And his are finished and available!
johntoddmarshall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC
Robert,I'd be looking at a twin mount, US navy, WW2 late 44-45(I'm not sure what mark or version that would be). That might not be much help. I have the Sullivans not that far away but even the volunteers there cant tell me what version the twin mounts on the ship are and I haven't been able to find any references to help.
John
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 11:11 AM UTC
That's probably the best choice, as there are decent published original drawings of it around. There are also walk around photo series of the twin, which I think is the Mk.1. I was drawing the quad but I think I photographed some twins on the Kidd in 1997.

Friedman's 'US naval weapons' (Conway, 1983) has both sides, front and plan views but unfortunately no dims to scale them. Bigger than 1/35 though.
johntoddmarshall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 05:21 PM UTC
Thanks Rob, I have a set of walk arounds and a set of plans from floating dry dock, I'll just have to make another trip to get some original measurements and see what I can do. Thanks for the leg work.
John
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 11:16 AM UTC
At the weekend I retrieved my copy of AotS on the Fletcher class ship 'The Sullivans' from the chap to whom I had lent it and it contains a 1/32 plan of the twin Mk.1 mount. Only a side and plan view but the barrels are drawn full length and I could take a few critical dims if that would help.
johntoddmarshall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC
RL, That would be great. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I'm currently working out of town Monday to Friday and only home on the weekends. The gun measurements would be great and if possible the actual gun trunion (where the guns and breachs are connected to the body of the mount) would be really helpful. Thanks so much.
John
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi John,

How goes your project?
 _GOTOTOP