_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tamiya annoucements at Nuremburg
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
The 1/16th Leo A2 is on here, that's about it for armor. A few planes etc, lots of cars...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/nuremberg/2004.html
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
yawn!

and tamiya announce another unimpressive list of future releases.

it makes me wonder why people still buy tamiya kits,

thank god for trumpeter and the resin companies!

cheers

joe
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
Well for starters...about the only new thing there is the Japanese bomber...the Enzo isn't new....same one they released earlier....oooooo its in a different color of red, the motorcycles...well they could be new, not up on my bikes, the BMW is a rebox of another Tamiya kit...just with different decals...and the P-47, isn't even a Tamiya kit but a reboxed Italeri kit...as Tamiya doesn't produce its own 1/72 aircraft.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the motorcycles...well they could be new, not up on my bikes, .

What they describe are new decals for old style Hondas...circa 1982-85. With all the sexy new bikes on the marker in a rainbow of colors, you'd think they'd latch on to those. Instead, we get ancient, dated styles with new stickers. And if bikes don't sell, fine, don't waste time, energy and effort in re-releasing old stuff. The only market for those bikes would be someone who owns or owned one.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 07:58 AM UTC
Well make Tamiya hear you! Spend your money else where until they start coming out with new kits, not just re-boxed models. I am looking at alot of other companies to meet my needs.

Sean
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
pretty crap release list even the leo's nothing too special just a new barrel and some figs what I have noticed is the amount of re-issues slipping out at the mo check HLJ they are denfinety loosing the edge
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
aw c'mon how about something that was actually seen some combat!!!like a centurion,challenger i'll even take a cheiftain.
Iron-Fist
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 03:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...and the P-47, isn't even a Tamiya kit but a reboxed Italeri kit...as Tamiya doesn't produce its own 1/72 aircraft.

Tamiya does produce its own 1/72, at least it shrinks down its 1/48 kits. I don't remember Italeri making a P-47, could it be that Tamiya has shrunk down their 1/48th Thunderbolts? Maybe.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 10:15 PM UTC
Ive heard that Tamiya are having financial difficulties. Maybe thats why they dont splash out on new molds. Wonder why they have money problems. I would think they sell a lot more kits than most of the others???
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:08 PM UTC
Plastic,
I've also heard they have money troubles but without going over too much of an old thread the son is more interested in R/C ect hence the money that could have brought out some new kits has gone into the leo A6 in 1/16 they have some kits which they could rework like the sdkfz 7 this would give them almost three re-worked kits same goes for the US half tracks, just got to wait and see what trumpeter brings us
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:14 PM UTC
Thank heavens for Dragon ,Trumpter,Academy,AFV Club.
Looks like will be the Only new stuff we get this year!!
mastertyno
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
entire network: 339 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:22 PM UTC
Well. I've heard that there's some financial problems... When sometimes, you Know, companies, (just like other financial sectors) hold their investiments, and bet less in new products!!! Blame it in economy!!

See yaaa
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well. I've heard that there's some financial problems... When sometimes, you Know, companies, (just like other financial sectors) hold their investiments, and bet less in new products!!! Blame it in economy!!

See yaaa

I'm no financial genius, but pumping out low quality old kits with limited appeal at inflated prices doens't seem to be the best way to improve your bottom line.
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
Our local Hobbytown USA seems to have a very limited supply of any Tamiya kits old or new.

Not sure of what's up there, no body around to answer that question for me as the model guy was off today.

What's left for Tamiya to do that's not already been done?
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 06:12 PM UTC
Where to start? .... An allied WWII 1/16th figure for starters, they're all Germans. I'm not sure the world needs that many more WWII Germans.
At least they're going the right direction with the new modern U.S. figure in that scale, but I have yet to see that figure here in the states. Hopefully soon.

Oh, and maybe a HET, but I bet Trumpeter beats them to that one.

But lets also keep in mind this is the company that has brought us some of the finest kits in recent years, the Dragon Wago, Famo and T-55 come to mind.

One show with less than stellar releases I don't think is reason to write them off. I admit there is nothing announced here I will buy.

Last year brought us the P-47D in 1/48th and updated Bradleys, M-113s, new Hummers and a new M1a1HA/A2 earlier this year.. among other things (I admit I can't recall when a few of their kits came out, like the M-26 if that was 2002 or 2003).
While there might be points to pick with those kits, at least they're out there and many of the conversion/corrections can be overlooked or fixed with a little work (OK pile on me about the M1 but I've given up trying to follow all of the "corrections" for all of the kits... if it LOOKs like an M1, that's fine with me)

Frankly I suspect this a company that has kept most -- if not all -- of us involved and interested in this hobby in one for or another
(O.K where's my check from Japan?)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 08:37 PM UTC
Well,

I'm, like others, not impressed with the new releases. Besides that the pricing of the Tamiya kits started to drive me away from their brand long time ago.

I wanted to make an Airborne Jeep.... so I went to the local store and next to each other where the Italeri and Tamiya MB Jeeps. The Tamiya box provided a Jeep and...nothing more, while the Italeri kit came with a trailer..... The quality of the Tamiya Jeep was excellent and the Italeri kit was almost equally good. Just very little less quality, but not much. Tamiya was selling for $ 18.50 and the Italeri kit for $ 6.50.... Well go figure.... with the difference being $ 12.00 I knew what to buy.....Italeri. I'm currently building the Italeri Jeep and I'm absolutely happy with it.... crisp detail, perfect fit and good quality plastic. Sure the Tamiya Jeep is excellent..... but in this case I saved $12.00 and that can be used for another great project or some AM things to go with the Jeep.

Tamiya has to do better if they want to sell me another kit in future.... it's good, though very conservative, but waaaaaaay overpriced !!!
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 08:49 PM UTC
This looks like reruns of stuff they already make. Kinda boring if you ask me. Who knows, maybe its a fake list!

~Chip :-)
 _GOTOTOP