_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Anyone? Strange goings-on with masking putty
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 04:14 AM UTC
I just tried Mig Masking Putty for the first time. Was told it's a re-branding of Panzer Putty, which I've heard great things about. When I removed the putty after spraying my brown camo I found the putty had left some residue or marks of some kind where it was in contact with the paint.

Anyone know if this is normal, and will it disappear with a coat of varnish? Want to know if this is salvageable or not.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:27 PM UTC
I have seen that happen once before on an area of a model I was masking with a silly putty type product. I don't recall that it caused any problems with the paint when I moved on- but you may want to just test out how one or two of those areas responds to some Future or varnish as you said.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 4,648 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 03:33 PM UTC
Is it residue, or has the putty lifted fine particles of paint from the grey area? I use Panzer putty and love it.

Gaz
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it residue, or has the putty lifted fine particles of paint from the grey area? I use Panzer putty and love it.

Gaz

Gary, that's an excellent question. I'm inclined to say it's the latter--I'm guessing some of the paint particles that dried before they hit the surface came away with the putty. However, up close it looks a lot like a line of paint that has just been laid down before the solvent evaporates so I can't discount the possibility that it's not a residue of some sort.

Going to have to give it a test, as Karl said, but I really don't want to go back and repaint this thing.

Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC
Turns out it's some sort of residue. When I brushed some Future on the bottom as a test the marks disappeared and everything looked fine. I thought I was good to go, but when I sprayed future with the airbrush I discovered that everywhere those marks were it repelled the Future and left flat spots (compared to the gloss finish elsewhere). Perhaps once that first coat has thoroughly cured a second coat will do the trick. Failing that, hopefully it will all blend in once the final matt varnish is applied.

_GOTOTOP