_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Deleting photos
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC
Can photos be deleted from my photo gallery? If yes then how do I do it and will deleting them effect my ongoing build log that they are used in ? I am afraid of running out of space before completing my log and I do not currently use a photo hosting site. Any help for this computer illiterate old guy would be appreciated. Thanks in advance- Richard
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 04:04 AM UTC
you can delete them, and they will then disappear from your build thread, replaced with the little broken image icon.

To delete an image, in the gallery, click on it. below the image is a row of icons, one of them is "edit photo". click on that. On the page that comes up there is a check box near the bottom to delete image completely. check it, then click the SUBMIT button.

but don't delete them. leave them there.
Photobucket is easy to use and free. You can figure it out in a few minutes. Give it a try, come back here and ask if you have questions.
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 04:53 AM UTC
Jonathan - Thanks for the prompt reply and sound advice - I do have some images on photobucket but I was under the impression that you must pay a user fee after a certain point. I'll explore this further as I may be mistaken - Thanks again - Richard
JClapp
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:44 PM UTC
I've been using Photobucket for years. I have I dunno - several hundreds of pictures in there. I think the "pro" level Photobucket account allows you to store really big high res images. Actually I have some 3MB gifs in there too, thats a pretty big file.

rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:37 PM UTC
I have uploaded some photos to Photobucket and read a previous thread on copying/pasting image code from photobucket to your log but I am confused as the example given shows a screenshot of the author's photobucket and the box containing the image code begins with [IMG]http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/richardtool/image.jpg7_zpskjnb9pxz.jpg" BORDER="0">[/img]
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:47 PM UTC
Well, that didn't work completely- trying again with :
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:00 PM UTC
and again with :
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:09 PM UTC
That seems to have done it but only because I manually copied the highlighted code from my first try and edited out every thing after the last jpg. This code is nothing like what is shown in the image code box next to the photo I chose on Photobucket- ??? Obviously I'm doing something wrong- Thanks for your patience.- Richard
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:15 PM UTC
trying this from direct box:
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:19 PM UTC
and again:
rdt1953
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Jonathan-Seems direct box is the way to go but I had doubled the http bit- I may have this now- thanks for babysitting me and catch me if I fall- also thanks for photobucket tips- seems you are right about the free part so far- I don't know why I keep getting e mail solicitations from them offering "special deals" that involve money- Richard
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 03:20 PM UTC
Richard, just saw this thread.

Photobucket tries to push everyone to spend money! I have a ton of photos on it, in over a dozen "project" albums - my typical pic is sized to around 2000x1500 pixels (good enough for forum posts!) and is under 500k file size. I just ignore the "Upgrade NOW!!!" spam from them, and have set it to tip into the spam folder in my email. (Even "free" has its cost...)

How full is your Kitmaker gallery? If you keep images to the sizes I mentioned, you should have tons of room. The classic newbie mistake is uploading straight from the camera, with files upwards of 3mb that eat up storage fast. Sadly, the only way to fix this is to delete the whoppers, upload reduced versions, and then add a new post to your build log that has the new reduced pics in it along with an apology for all the red Xs in older posts!

HTH
JClapp
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC
I have found that posting on this site does require some chops with manually editing HTML tags.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
Another option could be Dropbox, you initially only get 2gb of space, sat on your hard drive you can add blog photos to the 'public' folder and add links to forum posts. You just use the ihtml image tags.

I hope this helps

Brian
 _GOTOTOP