_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Counterfeiting in the model industry.
ChangNoi
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:17 PM UTC
Just took up modeling after retirement. Previously at work I had experience in investigating counterfeit products in the Oil and Gas industry. A very dangerous fraud which could lead to loss of life and massive loss of money.
Counterfeit models obviously is not in the same league but I am curious to know if it is problem in the industry.
Can anyone point me to articles on counterfeiting in the modeling industry ?
Thanks.
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 01:44 PM UTC
I don't know of any articles but I know some counterfeiters
ChangNoi
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 02:06 PM UTC
Any of them into money? LOL
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 04:26 PM UTC
in the figurine market you can find especially on ebay a lot of counterfeit also others After Market for AFV,etc... ,usually the copy is made with resin some good molds some others pretty bad
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
Alpine figures and other brands are regularly pirated on ebay and other sites.

CMK, considered a legitimate company, pirated many Alpine figures and switched arms and legs around, etc. to make new figures. They never responded to Alpine's inquiries.

Academy's armour line was started by poorly cloning Tamiya kits such as the Panzer IV, MUTT, Sgt York, etc.
ComaBlack
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 01:00 AM UTC
Recasters can be found on eBay or sites like Aliexpress.

As for straight up counterfeiting of mass production injection molded kits, not so much. Ie: fake DML box with crappy short run sprues inside.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC
Also on Aliexpress you find a lots of Alpine,Stalingrad,Pegaso,Young and others figurines copy
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 418 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
Is it illegal to take parts from kits, modify them, produce copies from the modified parts and sell them?

ChangNoi
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 10:49 AM UTC
SpaceXhydro. So long as the modified copies are not sold as being originals from another company then it would not be illegal.
If a company makes direct copies of a non-patented product and sells them under their own company brand name that is also not illegal.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:38 PM UTC
I do know that Evolution Miniatures, Andrea and others have all suffered from the re-casters. Often sold on eBay as -without box etc, they are always much cheaper and often inferior in quality.

Figure manufacturers are often hardest hit as many are one man operations with tight profit margins. The re-casters simply sell badly copied figures and if caught change trading name and move on. I've reported a few sellers on eBay.
ChangNoi
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC
Well done Brian. I think we should all do the same to support good manufactures.
Anyone found the main kits to be counterfeit ?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 - 07:22 PM UTC
Years ago Trumpeter recast the Tamiya T-72M1 even photocopying the original instructions. It was a horrible kit. Now they seem to be a dominate force in the industry. A case of "piracy pays".
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 10:48 AM UTC
Many years ago before Hobbyboss existed, I bought an AAVP7 from another Chinese brand called WSH or something. It was a badly cloned tamiya and had the EAAK from (I suspect)Kirin which was the main reason I bought it. Came with a motor that drove the propellers so you could sail it in the park on a Sunday afternoon. Batteries not included.

ChangNoi
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies.
Reason I ask (I'm new to modeling) is because I just bought an Italeri kit. Started putting it together. Detail is OK but the fit up is not as good as other Italeri kits I have made.
So I looked closer at the box. It does not say "Figure not included" like the other Italeri kits.(There is no pilot figure in the box) The colour of the box art work is different than the original Italeri boxes. (Asked Italeri about that but they miss-understood my question but they did send a copy of their original box which is in different colour.)
Small detail differences but made me think of counterfeiting,so I was wondering how rife counterfeiting model kits is. Need to be more careful when buying I suppose.
Best regards.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC
It is without doubt the resin figure makers that suffer the most from this activity, and it is also doubly destructive to their trade. Firstly the act of copying their work and selling them at a cheap price reduces their sales, this means they have to charge more for each figure to make it worthwhile. The second issue is that copies are never as good as the originals; this is usually true of both detail and size as copies are progressively smaller. The result of this is that potential customers don’t purchase as they have been disappointed in previous purchases unaware that they were copies.
 _GOTOTOP